- IDEA Home
- About IDEA
- Student Life
- IDEA Student Center
- Undergraduate Majors
- Prospective Undergraduates
- Career Resources
- Team Internship Program
- Student Organizations
- Gordon Engineering Leadership Center
- Global TIES
- Moxie Center for Undergraduate Entrepreneurship
- von Liebig Entrepreneurism Center
- Alumni Home
- Career Network
- Stay Connected
- Get involved
- Contact Us
- von Liebig Home
- About von Liebig
- Commercialization Assistance
- Entrepreneurism Education
- Get Involved
- Triton Technology Fund
- Gordon Center Home
- Get Involved
- Gordon Scholars
- Engineering Leadership Awards
- Gordon Alumni Network
- News & Events
- Contact Us
Advanced Energy Research Initiative
University of California, San Diego
Jacobs School of Engineering
The University of California, San Diego, has launched a campus-wide Advanced Energy Research Initiative to address issues of Energy Sustainability and Security. The purpose of this initiative is to bring together faculty in engineering technology science, policy, and computational and/or experimental approaches to advance research on:
- Energy storage, resource forecasting, distributed networks, power systems and/or control theory that enables large-scale adoption of renewable energy sources into electrical power distribution grids;
- Computing, networking, data management, and security for smart energy grids as cyber-physical energy systems; embedded sensing and energy use optimization technologies. Green computing;
- Development and improvements of renewable energy sources and their efficient conversion, transportation and storage;
- Processes, materials, and reacting flow studies and systems that enable the large-scale deployment of sustainably generated liquid fuels from next-generation biologically and/or synthetically produced fuels;
- Materials and/or heat and mass transfer in extreme environments e.g. such as found in the hot-sections of turbines fueled by biofuels, syngas and other fuels, in advanced fuel cells or in next-generation nuclear fission and fusion reactors.
- Exceptional candidates in other energy/sustainability areas will also be given consideration for these positions.
At the core of this initiative is the hiring of up to 18 tenured or tenure track faculty positions over a three year period to solidify UCSD's leadership in advanced energy research.
Faculty searches for this advanced energy research initiative will be conducted at three levels.
Potential candidates: You may apply to multiple recruitments using the same applications materials. You must apply to each recruitment for which you wish to be considered.
Job Description (Check back for updates)
Apply at: (Check back for updates)
Note: While this search will be conducted University-wide, successful candidates will ultimately be assigned to and appointed in a specific department within UCSD.
Individual campus divisions
Biological Sciences is looking for energy candidates across all recruitments. Please search positions through the general job bulletin.
Note: While this search will be conducted Division-wide, successful candidates will ultimately be assigned to and appointed in a specific department within UCSD.
Jacobs School of Engineering Recruitment Description: Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor(s), any department
Physical Sciences will be recruiting energy candidates to specific departments. See department section below.
Jacobs School Recruitments
ECE Recruitment Description: Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor
MAE Recruitment Description: Assistant, Associate or Full Professor (Mid-Career)
NE Recruitment Description: Assistant, Associate, or Full Professor
Physical Sciences Recruitments
Department of Chemistry (Position 1)
Recruitment Description: Assistant Professor Inorganic Chemist
Department of Chemistry (Position 2)
Recruitment Description: Assistant Professor in Environmental/Interfacial Chemistry
Department of Physics (2 Positions Available)
Recruitment Description: Tenured Full Professor - Nonequilibrium and Nanoscale
- Jacobs School Recruitments
In addition to possessing expertise in one or more of the previously mentioned areas, the successful candidates will have demonstrated accomplishments in areas contributing to diversity, equity, and inclusion, and have a desire to play a leadership role in helping to shape and expand the School's diversity initiatives. We especially welcome candidates who have contributed to programs that increase the access and success of underrepresented students or faculty in engineering.
Individuals qualified and interested in promoting interdisciplinary collaborations are especially encouraged to apply. In addition to having demonstrated high standards of scholarship and professional activity, or for junior candidates, to have the potential thereof, the preferred candidates will have demonstrated contributions or potential to contribute to a climate that supports equity, inclusion and diversity. Recruitments will be conducted campus wide, school wide in the Jacobs School of Engineering, or in individual departments.
All applicants must provide:
- A cover letter
- Curriculum vitae with a complete list of publications
- Samples of published research
- Teaching evaluations (if available)
- Names and contact information of 3-5 referees
- A statement summarizing research interests and teaching experience
- A separate statement describing your past experience in activities that promote diversity and inclusion and/or plans to make future contributions. For further information about contributions to diversity statements, see http://facultyequity.ucsd.edu/Faculty-Applicant-C2D-Info.asp.
The level of appointment is at the associate level, however excellent candidates at all levels will be seriously considered. Salary is based on published UC pay scales and competitive market conditions.
For general inquiries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position or positions are filled. For applicants with interest in spousal/partner employment, please see the web site for the UCSD Partner Opportunities Program.
UCSD is an EO/AA employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity.