How to ApplyClick Here to Apply to COSMOS
2019 Application period: January 4th to February 1st (5:00 PM, continues unsupported until 11:59PM PST)
Visit our UCSD COSMOS YouTube Channel for application information
OFFICIAL Transcripts must be postmarked by Friday, February 1, 2019 and mailed to:
9500 Gilman Dr., MC 0429
Jacobs Hall, Room 1205
La Jolla, CA 92093
Application fee must be postmarked by Friday, February 1, 2019 and mailed to:
University of California
PO Box 989062
West Sacramento, CA 95798-9062
Financial Aid Application & supporting documents must be postmarked by Friday, February 1, 2019 and mailed to:
230 Physical Sciences & Engineering Library
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616-8596
- Completed and submitted online application.
- Two completed online recommendation from a math/science teacher.
- OFFICIAL transcripts for current year and at least one preceding academic year.
- $30 application fee (paid online by credit card or check/money order mailed to address above).
- Financial Assistance form-only for CA residents (if requesting assistance).
- International students only: submit official TOEFL scores; 550 written, 80 online or Band Score of 7 for IELTS.
- Late postmarked items will not be considered and the application will be incomplete.
- Cluster faculty review and choose admitted students based on information in the entire application and in comparison to other cluster applicants.
- Cluster pre-requisites are a minimum requirement for consideration by cluster faculty.
- Overall grades in math/science courses are strongly considered over GPA.
- Honors and AP courses are recognized as more difficult.
- Average applicant GPA is 3.8 unweighted.
- All essays are read, all applications reviewed. Faculty read to determine the applicant's motivation and what they want out of their COSMOS experience. This is the student's opportunity to convince faculty that they should be chosen for this cluster.
- Teacher recommenders should be contacted early to ensure time for recommendation completion. Student's should verify teachers have received their emailed link and completed their recommendation. The application does not need to be completed for the link to be sent to teachers. Student's may select a teacher from the previous year.
- Student Activities – Extra-curricular activities surrounding math and science fairs, Math Olympiad, robotics competitions, student leadership positions, etc.
Additional Application information
- Returning Student Policy: students can attend COSMOS only once.
- Eighth-Grade Student Policy: Graduating 8th graders completing advanced mathematics or science courses will be considered for admission, and must be mature enough to participate in a one-month residential program. A very small percentage of applying 8th graders are admitted to COSMOS each year.
- Students can apply to ONE COSMOS Campus; chosen clusters must be at the same campus.
- Select a First and Second Choice Cluster: Choosing more than one cluster may increase your chance for acceptance. Write compelling essays for both choices.
Questions? Contact COSMOS at firstname.lastname@example.org for answers.