The Residential Life program will provide students with opportunities to relax, socialize, and involve themselves in fun, engaging activities meant to foster friendship, trust, and mutual understanding of all COSMOS participants. Each student agrees to respect the rights of other residents and to conduct themselves in an appropriate manner. Students who demonstrate an ongoing inability to abide by the COSMOS requirements and expectations may be removed from the program.
Things Participants MUST do:
- Wear their COSMOS lanyard/badge between the hours of 7:00am-11:00pm.
- Students are expected to use the "buddy system" outside of the residential hall area. Students must be with a buddy on campus or on field trips.
- Report illness to an RA or staff member immediately.
- Wear their COSMOS t-shirt on academic and weekend field trips.
- Honor Quiet Hours: 11:00pm to 7:00am daily.
- Be in their assigned suite by 10:00pm and in their room by 10:30pm.
- Control their noise level at all times. If a student is asked to reduce their level of noise, we expect the student to accommodate the request.
- Practice personal hygiene and an appropriate appearance.
- Alert COSMOS staff if you experience any health-related issues.
- Follow the COSMOS Dress Code which includes clothing appropriate for an academic camp. Long pants and closed-toed shoes are required in labs. Students bring nicer clothing for the Awards Ceremony and dances planned by the RA's. Inappropriate clothing includes but is not limited to: overly revealing clothing, clothing related to profanity/drug/alcohol/tobacco, underwear worn as clothing, excessively baggy clothing.
Things Participants MUST NOT do:
- Leave the UCSD campus during the program, except for COSMOS field trips and activities and only when accompanied by COSMOS staff, faculty or other designated adults.
- Have outside visitors at UCSD during the program with the exception of Family Visitation Weekend and while moving in/out. Visitors are only allowed to enter residential areas while students are moving in/out, and not during Family Weekend.
- Leave their housing suite from 11:00pm to 7:00am.
- Visit residential areas occupied by students of the opposite gender or by residents of another program housed on the UCSD campus. Students of the opposite gender are permitted in the main floor common lounge area of the two COSMOS residential buildings.
- Maintain or use a car, motorcycle, or other vehicle during the COSMOS program. Bicycles, skateboards, rollerblades, scooters, etc. are also prohibited.
- Use Uber, Lyft, and Rideshare apps.
- Organize and/or participate in "pranks".
- Treat others in a manner which may cause another individual physical or psychological harm, and/or which may cause feelings of discomfort or embarrassment.
- Use inappropriate physical contact (whether consensual or not) that is not suitable in an educational environment.
- Use foul, vulgar, inappropriate, or offensive language.
- Share medications, whether prescribed or over the counter medications, with any other COSMOS student.
Every effort will be made to provide students with 24-hours advanced notice before their room is entered during normal working hours for cleaning, maintenance and repairs. Said notice is not required in the event of an emergency, or at the discretion of the Resident Dean. Our students agree to waive the 24-hour notice requirement to allow University and/or COSMOS staff to enter the room or suite during normal working hours in the event staff suspects a violation of the COSMOS Student Code of Conduct. Appropriate concern for the privacy of the occupants will be respected whenever possible.