We build artificial brains for real robots. We develop hardware and software inspired by biology. We believe that robots should learn from experience and interaction with humans. We are a team of neuroscientists, computer scientists and engineers with extensive experience in theory and computational modeling of biological nervous systems. We are located in the Qualcomm Research Center, in beautiful Sorrento Valley, 10 minutes from UC San Diego.
1. Artificial Brains for Robots- Internships
Brain Corp (www.braincorp.com) is a Californian, San Diego-based A.I. company that specializes in the development of self-driving technology. Our A.I. tech represents the next generation of artificial brains for robots - it enables machines to perceive, learn, and navigate complex environments, while avoiding people and obstacles. We partner with commercial equipment manufacturers, and global consumer electronics brands, to transform their products into self-driving robots.
We are looking for highly motivated, talented students for a 3-months internship within our organization in sunny San-Diego.
We currently have up to 5 openings within the A.I. group. Each internship will focus on a different topic, such as:
- Motion planning: Improve the quality of our planner and motion controller to efficiently and safely navigate in complex indoor environment. For this internship, we are looking for students with a broad understanding of autonomous navigation and expertise in motion planning algorithms.
- Perception: Expand our perception pipeline by developing new filters, implement self-calibration techniques, and fuse multiple sensor modalities into one coherent representation. For this internship, we are looking for students with theoretical and practical knowledge of sensors used in robotics, including cameras (RGB and Depth), LIDARs, sonars, IMUs, etc.
- Mapping and localization: Expand our mapping and localization solution in highly dynamic environment. Automatically detect and incorporate persistent changes in the environment. For this internship, we are looking for students with knowledge and experience of various SLAM and photogrammetry techniques (particle filter based, graph based).
- Machine learning / AI: Develop the next generation of A.I algorithms that candetect and classify objects in an indoor environment. Improve the capability ofthe robot to detect humans, and other salient objects. For this internship, we are looking for students with knowledge and experience in classification and regression algorithms and different machine learning techniques (unsupervised, supervised, reinforcement, demonstration).
- Simulation environment: Create photorealistic simulations environments and pair those virtual environments with our robotic operating system. Train robots in a virtual environment and deploy new functionalities in the real world. For this internship, we are looking for students with development experience using 3D games engine, preferably Epic’s Unreal Engine 4.
Interns work side-by-side with top engineers in the industry while having autonomy from the get-go. Interns contribute to user-facing products and are able to see their work go live quickly. Brain Corp fosters a collaborative community, so there's always a sharp mind eager to hear about your next idea. Here is what a day look like as an intern at Brain Corporation
● A quick daily standup meeting to sync with your team ● Go crank on your project, checking-in with your team members throughout the day with questions and updates ● Test your code directly on our robots in the warehouse ● You leave the code in a better state than when you found it (progressive refactor) ● You value reliability, ensured by automated testing (unit, integration and load tests) ● You participate in code reviews to ensure code quality and distribute knowledge ● Continuous integration and deployment of results of your project You’ll be part of the Software Intelligence and A.I. division, you will be directly involved in the innovation of cutting edge technologies.Required Skills:
Strong knowledge of CS fundamentals
Currently pursuing studies in Computer Science or a related field
Strong communication skills (in English)
Projects in at least one of the following fields ○ Robotics ○ Machine learning / A.I. ○ Autonomous navigation ○ Perception, sensory fusion, state estimation ○ SLAM ○ Simulation environment for gaming or robotics (e.g., Unreal 4) ○ GPU Optimization (e.g. Open CL)Location: San Diego
IQ-Analog is a fabless semiconductor company incorporated in 2004 focused on high-speed data conversion. Data conversion is at the heart of every real world interface, connecting analog to digital and digital to analog, enabling the digital revolution.
1. High Perf. Analog Interface Eval. Module Dev
High Performance Analog Interface Evaluation Module Development
The development of a customer-facing evaluation module including hardware, software, and documentation supporting an all-new family of next generation high performance analog interface integrated circuits.
2-3 electrical engineering graduate level students familiar with ANALOG and DIGITAL circuit analysis, FPGA programming, as well as software development, especially in Matlab. 1-2 electrical engineering graduate students with technical marketing interests, documentation skills and ideally a strong understanding of data converter performance metrics.Location: San Diego
Headquartered in San Diego, California, USA, Solar Turbines Incorporated, a subsidiary of Caterpillar Inc., is one of the worlds leading manufacturers of industrial gas turbines, with more than 13,400 units and over 1.4 billion operating hours in 96 countries. Products from Solar Turbines play an important role in the development of oil, natural gas and power generation projects around the world. Solar Turbines products include gas turbine engines (rated from 1590 to 30,000 horsepower), gas compressors, and gas turbine-powered compressor sets, mechanical-drive packages and generator sets (ranging from 1.1 to 22 megawatts). Solars customers put the companys products to work in many areas including production, processing and pipeline transmission of natural gas and crude oil and generation of electricity and thermal energy for processing applications, such as manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and food products. Solars foundation is people and Solars culture is one where individual contributions are valued, diversity in the workplace is encouraged, and safety is emphasized in all aspects of the business. Solar Turbines is comprised of a dedicated and multi-talented workforce of more than 6,000 employees with decades of experience working as a global team.
1. Systems Design Engineering Interns
Headquartered in San Diego, California, USA, Solar Turbines Incorporated, a subsidiary of Caterpillar Inc., is one of the world’s leading energy solutions providers including manufacturing of industrial gas turbine packages, centrifugal gas compressors, Electric motor drives, energy storage systems, plant supervisory controls, micro grid controls and balance of plant. There are more than 15,000 units in operation and over 2 billion operating hours in over 100 countries.
Products from Solar Turbines play an important role in powering our future including the development of oil, natural gas, power generation, plant optimization and energy storage projects around the world. Solar Turbines’ products include gas turbine engines (rated from 1590 to 30,000 horsepower), gas compressors, and gas turbine-powered compressor sets, mechanical-drive packages and generator sets (ranging from 1 to 22 megawatts), electric motor drives (rated from 5,000 to 30,000 horsepower), energy storage systems, microgrid controls and plant supervisory controls.
Solar’s customers put the company’s products to work in many areas including production, processing and pipeline transmission of natural gas and crude oil and generation of electricity and thermal energy for processing applications, such as manufacturing chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and food products, hospitals, universities, rentable energy storage and load management.
Solar’s foundation is people and Solar’s culture is one where individual contributions are valued, diversity in the workplace is encouraged, and safety is emphasized in all aspects of the business. Solar Turbines is comprised of a dedicated and multi-talented workforce of more than 7,000 employees with decades of experience working as a global team.
Solar is proud to host summer interns through UCSD’s Team Internship Program. Interns will have the opportunity to: Experience hands-on engineering work Work with Engineering Mentors, Leaders, and Subject Matter Experts to gain valuable knowledge and project direction Participate in departmental networking events with engineering staff and interns Receive company-led training Tour San Diego production facilities Present project to Solar Management and UCSD representatives Represent project at TIP poster session at the Corporate Affiliate Program evening
Solar Turbines’ Systems Design Engineer Internship positions are designed to provide students with challenging projects that play a key role in supporting gas turbine system product design and development activities. Under the guidance of a Mentor, Interns are given a meaningful work experience, a project assignment to complete, and the opportunity to apply classroom education to real work situations. Positions are available in Electrical Systems Design Integration, Systems Development, and Display Systems Development.Required Skills:
For CS students:
Experience with client-side web technologies Familiarity with Python, C++, C#, Objective-C, and/or Java Familiarity with networking and network protocols Good Oral and Written Communication Skills
For EE students:
Matlab/Simulink Experience Basic Understanding of AC electric motors 3Good Oral and Written Communication SkillsLocation: San Diego
2. Mechanical Design Engineering Interns
Solar Turbines’ Mechanical Engineering Internship positions are designed to provide students with challenging projects that play a key role in supporting gas turbine package product design and development activities. Under the guidance of a Mentor, Interns are given a meaningful work experience, a project assignment to complete, and the opportunity to apply classroom education to real work situations. Positions are available in Mechanical Design Integration, Package Development and Mechanical Analysis, Systems Development, Project Design Engineering, Product Management, and Sales Support Engineering.
Typical Intern projects provide the opportunity to design, analyze, and develop turbo machinery package parts in support of our overall gas turbine product lines. Additional responsibilities may include design layouts, materials research and analysis, research and analysis of design changes for product improvements, manufacturing support, design components, systems, products, or tools to aid in the development or maintenance of package designs.Required Skills:
3D CAD Modeling or Equivalent Experience
Knowledge of Microsoft Excel
Good Oral and Written Communication SkillsPreferred Skills:
Matlab/Simulink Fluid Mechanics/Heat Transfer Knowledge VBA and/or Java programmingLocation: San Diego
Accel Robotics automates and improves service experiences. Our team of PhDs in Neuroscience and Computer Vision built a breakthrough 360 perception engine that enables machines to see and understand the real world. Accel helps companies deliver smarter service by enabling grab and go commerce experiences and powering robotic shopping assistants.
1. Software Engineering Interns
Are you passionate about vision and AI? We are looking for interns to join our team in La Jolla.
Accel Robotics is building camera-based perception systems for commercial spaces. We are looking for talented CS/CSE student to develop our unique data pipelines for learning and inference. You will be developing and deploying systems that use the latest camera, capture, and AI frameworks (Caffe/TensorFlow/PyTorch). You will be part of a small startup team, located near campus in the EvoNexus Startup Incubator.
- 15+ hours/week part time available immediately, extensible to full-time summer
- 2-3 interns as part of TIP team during summerRequired Skills:
• Python and C++ programming
• Disciplined software engineering practicesPreferred Skills:
• Parallel CPU/GPU computing
• Computer vision/ML operating on video streams
• Deep learning fundamentals and practice with modern frameworks (Caffe/TensorFlow/PyTorch)
• Experience with the Robot Operating System (ROS)Location: San Diego
3.2.1 Take-off! Our mission at Neocortex Ventures is to amplify human intelligence, and to spin off vertical-focused AI startups in various domains. Machine learning focus areas: deep learning; natural language processing (NLP); intelligent (knowledge graph) powered search; big data, Hadoop clusters; evaluation and use of Python libraries, hosted AI-as-a-service APIs (Azure, Google TensorFlow); machine leanring applied to synthetic biology, cognitive assistants, enterprise sales, real estate. Cutting edge technology. Passionate team. Dynamic & fun work environment, monthly retreats, outdoor activities.
1. Data Science Interns- TIP
Are you passionate about AI, machine learning, and big data? Neocortex Ventures is seeking an intern to join our team in San Diego.
Learn & apply AI tools on cutting edge applications from synthetic biology to virtual assistants to fintech. The data science intern will play a key role using machine learning, visualization & knowledge management tools on datasets. Employees at Neocortex Ventures have the opportunity to make a major impact, and join a network of AI & ML leaders that are transforming San Diego into the capital of neurocomputing technology.Required Skills:
Essential/Required Skills (minimum 3) Machine Learning Data Wrangling Data Analysis Python
Visualization Elastic Search SQL Server Apache Spark Hadoop
Location: Mission Valley, SD
2. Software Engineer Interns- TIP
Are you passionate about software development and AI? Neocortex Ventures is seeking an intern to join our team in San Diego.
Help development software that interacts with AI / ML engines, on cutting edge applications from synthetic biology to virtual assistants to fintech. The software engineering intern will help implement a web application and IoT synchronization engine for uploading data to the cloud. Employees at Neocortex Ventures have the opportunity to make a major impact, and join a network of AI & ML leaders that are transforming San Diego into the capital of neurocomputing technology.Required Skills:
C# .Net MS Visual Studio Web Development SQL Server
Cloud ComputingLocation: Mission Valley, SD
Seventeen years ago, we launched Salesforce with a vision to create a new kind of company. Salesforce pioneered a new technology model with our cloud platform, a new pay-as-you-go business model focused on customer success, and a new integrated corporate philanthropy model, called the 1-1-1 model, by which we donate 1% of our equity, 1% of our employee time, and 1% of our product to improve communities around the world. This vision has fueled our incredible growth, made us the global leader in CRM, defined the era of enterprise cloud computing, and inspired a new philanthropic model for all companies to follow. Today, Salesforce's Customer Success Platform provides groundbreaking cloud services for sales, service, marketing, community, analytics, apps and the Internet of Things. Thanks to our dedicated employees, partners, and the customers we serve, Salesforce is the fastest growing top 10 software company in the world and has been ranked as one of the world's most innovative companies by Forbes for five years in a row. Salesforce empowers companies to connect with their customers in a whole new way, run their business from their phones, create one-to-one customer journeys and make smarter, more predictive decisions from anywhere in real-time.
1. Real Time Alert Evaluation for Time Series Data
Salesforce’s open source time series monitoring platform Argus, currently uses a scheduled dispatch and evaluation mechanism to evaluate triggering conditions for alerts based on time series data. This project consists of upgrading the alerting services within Argus to support the evaluation of high frequency alert evaluations on a streaming platform such as Spark or equivalent. As a secondary objective, the creation and evaluation of unsupervised anomaly detection models based on data seen by alert evaluations will be added as a feature of the Argus alerting service. Required Skills:
1. Object oriented programming. 2. Machine learning and anomaly detection. 3. Software engineering and design. 4. Java
1. API Design 2. REST Web Services 3. Distributed Systems
Location: San Francisco, CA