Ahmed-Waeil M. Elgamal
Office of the Dean of Engineering
Information Technology, Earthquake Engineering, Computational Geomechanics
Professor Elgamal is an expert in earthquake engineering and computational geomechanics. Incorporation of emerging information technologies into structural engineering is currently one of his main research areas. Internet applications include sensor networks for monitoring our civil infrastructure, with real-time condition assessment and decision-making algorithms. Integration of research and education with live web-accessible experiments is a main component.
Ahmed Elgamal is a professor in the Department of Structural Engineering at the UCSD Jacobs School of Engineering. Prior to UCSD, Elgamal was a faculty member at the Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and Columbia University, and technical director for the Rensselaer Geotechnical Centrifuge Research Center. He studied Civil Engineering and Engineering Mechanics at Cairo University (B.Sc.), and Princeton University (M.A. and Ph.D.), and was a research fellow at CalTech. He is a recipient of the Shamsher Prakash Award and the NSF Presidential Young Investigator Award. Elgamal was also a Lilly Teaching Fellow (1991-1992). He is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers. Professor Elgamal served as chair of the Department of Structural Engineering from 2003 to 2007.
- B.Sc., Cairo University, Egypt (1977)
- Ph.D., Civil Engineering, Princeton University (1984)
- Thrust Area Leader, NSF Pacific Center for Earthquake Eng. Research (PEER), 2001-present
- Member, NSF Technical Coordination Committee for US-Japan Research Initiative, 1998-2002
- Elected Member, USUCGER, 1998
- Shamsher Prakash Award 1996
- Lilly Teaching Fellow, July 1991 - June 1992
- NSF Presidential Young Investigator Award (PYI), 1990-1995
- Academic Honors, Cairo University, 1973-1977
- Yang, Z., Lu, J., and Elgamal, A., (2004). "A Web-based Platform for Live Internet Computation of Seismic Ground Response," Advances in Engineering Software, Elsevier, Vol. 35, pp. 249-259.
- Elgamal, A., Lai, T., Gunturi, V., and Zeghal, M., (2004). "System Identification of Landfill Seismic Response," Journal of Earthquake Engineering©, Imperial College Press, Vol. 8, No. 4, pp. 545-566.
- Adalier, K., and Elgamal, A., (2004). “Mitigation of liquefaction and associated ground deformations by stone columns,” Journal of Engineering Geology, Engineering Geology, Vol. 72, Issues 3-4, Elsevier, pp. 275-291.
- Yang, Z., and Elgamal, A., (2003). "Application of Unconstrained Optimization and Sensitivity Analysis to Calibration of a Soil Constitutive Model," Intl. J. Numerical Analytical Methods in Geomechanics, Vol. 27, No. 15, pp. 1277-1297.
- Yang, Z., Elgamal, A., and Parra, E., (2003). "A Computational Model for Liquefaction and Associated Shear Deformation," Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 129, No. 12.
- Elgamal, A., Yang, Z., Parra, E., and Ragheb, A., (2003). "Modeling of Cyclic Mobility in Saturated Cohesionless Soils," International Journal of Plasticity, Pergamon, Elsevier Science Ltd., Vol. 19, Issue 6, pp. 883-905.
- Adalier, K., and Elgamal, A.-W., (2002). "Seismic Response of Adjacent Dense and Loose SaturatedSand Columns," Journal of Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 115-127,.
- Elgamal, A., Yang, Z., and Parra, E., (2002). "Computational modeling of Cyclic Mobility and Post-Liquefaction Site Response," Journal of Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 22, Issue 4, pp. 259-271, June 2002.
- Yang, Z., and Elgamal, A., (2002). "Influence of Permeability on Liquefaction-Induced Shear Deformation," Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, Vol. 128, No. 7.
- Elgamal, A., Parra, E., Yang, Z., and Adalier, K., (2002). "Numerical Analysis of Embankment Foundation Liquefaction Countermeasures," Journal of Earthquake Engineering©, Imperial College Press, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 447-471.