Check out more pictures from JUMP on Facebook and Flickr!
+ Expand All
Read about the Jacobs Undergradaute Mentoring Program and its recent successes
WHAT IS JUMP?
The Jacobs Undergraduate Mentoring Program is a community of engineering students (both undergraduate and graduate) and alumni, who provide support, advice, guidance, and experience to all members.
Benefits of Participating in JUMP:
- Ease the transition from high school or community college to UCSD, or from undergrad to graduate school
- Mentorship and positive role models at multiple levels: from peers, graduate students, and alumni
- Networking and guidance from engineering professionals and alumni
- Professional and career development through interaction with post docs and faculty
- Be part of a community!
Unique Mentoring Structure:
- Ladder/Pyramid structure within fields of study
- Underclassmen (freshmen and sophomores) are paired with upperclassmen (junior or senior), who are then matched with a graduate student, forming a "mentor group"
- Attend one out of three large group meetings per quarter: in addition to the opportunity to interact with other mentors and mentees, each meeting has a theme, which may include networking with alumni, faculty interaction, or getting involved in research
- Meet casually with your mentor group regularly
- Prompt response and communication with your mentoring group
- Attendance at any events you RSVP to, such as company tours, reception with alumni
All applications are closed for the 2018-19 school year. They will OPEN in late August.
We are seeking participation from Jacobs School Alumni in our quarterly Alumni Night events, which provide our current undergraduate and graduate engineering students the opportunity to receive networking and professional guidance from engineering professionals and alumni.
Time commitment is limited to attending a 2-hour event in the evening, and invitations are sent out once a quarter - you can choose to attend only the events that work with your schedule. At each Alumni Night event, there will be a topic of discussion, for example, how to prepare for an interview, resume critique, etc.
Here are our Alumni Night dates for the 2016-2017 academic year (all events start at 6pm):
Wednesday, December 6th, 2017
If you're interested in being included in our invite list for future JUMP Alumni Night events, please provide us with your information.
JUMP provides a great networking opportunity and direct interaction with Alumni. In the events during last Academic year, several events were held with a few alumni participating. I would like to encourage students to take this opportunity serious and attend with a purpose, come prepared with their CV and a list of questions.
- Raheleh Dilmaghani, Ph.D. Electrical Engineering 2010, President of UCSD ECE Alumni
As a supporter and Jacobs School alum, it is impressive to see the students within JUMP take a proactive approach on participating in the various educational and pre-professional opportunities that are available to them. The JUMP participants are willing individuals with ambitious goals -- the lively conversations I've had with them clearly show that they have the motivation and potential to succeed through college and beyond!
- Justin Wong, B.S. Computer Science 2011, IT QA Test Engineer, San Diego Gas & Electric
Sam Knight here, an honorary Jacobs School of Engineering alumnus – honorary because JSOE was but a glint in UCSD’s eye when I was an engineering student in the 70’s. I was fortunate to have been invited to participate in JUMP events from its founding, participating as an industry panelist or as an alumni “conversationalist” joining a table of students. Every event has been fun, rewarding, and a valuable as the conversations open the students’ eyes, “That’s what it’s really like out there in the business world?!” as well as my own, “You’re a freshman and you’re doing that?!” It is a delight to share experiences, answer questions, and the enthusiasm of the finest students on the planet. Oh, too, the food is always good, not merely the company.
- Sam Knight, B.A. Applied Physics and Information Science 1973, VP Customer Relations, LocationSmart
There is an old saying: “We stand on the shoulder of giants.” As an undergraduate, at every alumni-sponsored or student-organized event, I remember the free food and drinks. I remember the inspired feeling after learning about the innovative technologies and researches that the alumni were involved in. Most importantly, I remember the insights I gained from interacting with them. They helped pave the way for me -- through sharing their experiences, and imparting advice on intellectual and professional development. Being able to come back to share my own experience with the JUMP students has been both humbling and rewarding.
- True Xiong, B.S. Electrical Engineering 2005, Senior Software System Engineer, Sony and TESC DECaF Chair 2005
If you have any questions about JUMP, please contact the JUMP Coordinators at firstname.lastname@example.org