Theta Tau was originally founded as the "Society of Hammer and Tongs," on October 15, 1904 by Erich J. Schrader, Elwin L. Vinal, William M. Lewis, and Isaac B. Hanks at the University of Minnesota. The name was changed to Theta Tau at the fraternity's first national convention at the University of Minnesota in 1911. Since then, approximately 30,000 members have been initiated. The purpose of Theta Tau is to develop and maintain a high standard of professional interest among its members, and to unite them in a strong bond of fraternal fellowship. The goals of the fraternity are to promote the social and professional development of its members during and after their college years.