The Institute for the Global Entrepreneur at UC San Diego was established in June 2016, and builds on successful programs and centers at the Jacobs School of Engineering and Rady School of Management.
Through education, training, mentoring and access to capital, our programs are training tomorrow’s innovators and catalyzing start-ups that fuel the economy.
Read on for outcomes from our signature programs.
Von Liebig Path to Market Programs
- 135 students per year participate in our entrepreneurism and leadership courses
- 5 companies have been acquired in successful exits
- 34 companies are actively developing products
- 60 entrepreneurial teams served
- $6M in proof of concept funding awarded
- 500 jobs created
- $220M invested in our portfolio companies
National Science Foundation Innovation Corps (NSF I-Corps) Site
Our NSF I-Corps Sites provides training in customer discovery and lean startup methodology. Since 2013, outcomes include:
- 100 teams (250 faculty and student participants) have received I-Corps training
- 2,780 customer interviews have been conducted by the teams.
- 44 teams built working prototypes
- 19 teams filed patents
- 9 teams have been admitted to the National NSF I-Corps Program and have received $450,000 in NSF funding.
- 17 teams launched companies, and have raised more than $2.45 million in investment.
Entrepreneur’s Showcase and Triton Fund
UC San Diego-affiliated companies receive mentoring and feedback as they pitch their start-up value proposition to investors and domain experts.
- 20 teams have presented at the Entrepreneur’s Showcase
- The $12.8 million Triton Technology Fund, has invested in 7 5 UC San Diego-affiliated start-ups.
Rady School of Management
- Rady School students and alumni have launched more than 100 companies.
- Rady Venture Fund has educated more than 150 students and made 4 investments.
- The California Institute for Innovation and Development (CIID) has awarded more than 40 Rady innovation fellowship to students to provides business assistance to San Diego entrepreneurs and companies.
- Sixty teams completed StartR and mystartupXX accelerator programs.
- StartR and mystartupXX teams have won the UC San Diego E-Challenge competition, the USD Zahn Social Innovation Challenge, and the California Dreamin’ competition.
- Nine StartR and mystartupXX companies have been accepted to the EvoNexus accelerator.
- StartR and mystartupXX companies have raised more than $30M in venture capital.
Gordon Engineering Leadership Center
The Gordon Engineering Leadership Center provides individualized leadership development and leadership courses, workshops and forums. Outcomes since 2010 include:
- Students have participated in Gordon Center Courses, Workshops and Forums.
- Gordon Scholars have completed our leadership training program.