How to Apply
The application process is entirely online through UCSD's centralized graduate admissions portal. You will need a valid email address to create an account. This email address will be your login name. It will also be the primary line of communication between you and UC San Diego. Be sure to use an email address that will not change: do not use a temporary address. The activation email and additional instructions to complete your registration will be sent to this address once you create your account.
To begin the Application process, just create an account and then select the appropriate Term, Degree, and Program to find the application for the specific program in which you are interested..
International Applicants please note:
The following programs are part-time master's degree programs. If you require a student visa you will not qualify with the below programs (student visa requires you are enrolled full-time). This only applies to international students who require a student visa. This does not apply to other international applicants.
- Data Science and Engineering
- Wireless Embedded Systems
Veterans please note:
UCSD provides an application fee waiver for individuals with US Military Service. Please read the waiver information before deciding to apply.
Each MAS degree program has its own unique admissions requirements beyond the general admissions requirements. Please see each programs admissions page for more detailed requirements.
General Admission Requirements
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering, Math, Physics, or other Science field preferred
- A minimum scholastic average of B or 3.0 GPA (or its equivalent, if the letter grade system is not used) is required for course work completed in the final two years of undergraduate study and any post baccalaureate study.
- Two years of relevant work experience or equivalent post bachelor's degree required.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae: List your experience and achievements.
- Statement of Purpose: The statement of purpose is intended to give admissions committees an opportunity to know more about your background, interests, preparation for study and goals. Statements should be concise, addressing accomplishments that are relevant to this degree program.
- Letters of Recommendation: Program specific, but a minimum of two letters of recommendation (some programs require a minimum of three) – highly encouraged to be from applicant's current employer. You will be required to provide the email address of each recommender. They will be contacted automatically by the system and will upload their letters directly via the graduate admissions portal.
- TOEFL, IELTS or PTE Score: For international applicants only
- GRE: General Test is recommended. The GRE is only recommended for those with less than two years of work experience. If you have more than two years of work experience, you do not need to report GRE scores as they will not affect your application. We will not provide any information regarding average GRE scores of admitted students.
- Application Fee: The application fee is $105 for US Citizens & Permanent Residents and $125 for International Applicants. The non-refundable fee is payable by credit card through the online application. You may also pay by check, following the instructions in the online application. If you choose to pay by check, please note that your application will not be processed until your check has been received.
- Completion of online application for graduate admission
Your Statement of Purpose, Resume/Curriculum Vitae, TOEFL scores (if applicable), and unofficial transcripts will be submitted online via the graduate admissions portal.
The recommenders will receive an email requesting a letter on your behalf. Once your recommender has submitted a letter, you will receive a confirmation email notifying you that UCSD has received the recommendation. The status of that particular recommendation will also change from pending to "received" in the Letter of Recommendation Management site.
If your recommenders have any issues submitting their Letters of Recommendation via the portal, please have them email us at JacobsMAS@eng.ucsd.edu
Official copies of academic records (i.e. official transcripts) from all post-secondary institutions attended are required. Transcripts should be sent directly by the institution to our department address below. In addition,
scanned unofficial copies of all academic records need to be uploaded to your online application on the graduate admissions portal.
Please mail all official copies of academic records and official transcripts to:
Jacobs School of Engineering MAS
UC San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive, Mail Code 0439
La Jolla, CA, 92093-0439
Attention: MAS [Program Name Applying For] - Jacobs Hall 1209