How to Apply
The application process is entirely online through UCSD's centralized graduate admissions portal. You will need a valid email address to create an account. This email address will be your login name. It will also be the primary line of communication between you and UC San Diego. Be sure to use an email address that will not change: do not use a temporary address. The activation email and additional instructions to complete your registration will be sent to this address once you create your account.
To begin the Application process, just create an account and then select the appropriate Term, Degree, and Program to find our application.
Veterans please note:
UCSD provides an application fee waiver for individuals with US Military Service. Please read the waiver information before deciding to apply.
Term: Fall 2020
Degree: Master of Advanced Studies (MAS)
Program: Architecture-based Enterprise Systems Engineering (CS82)
Applications Open: January 6, 2020
Early Consideration Review: April 30, 2020 *
Applications Close: June 30, 2020
* Due to the complications created by the Covid-19 crisis, we will only be able to provide an initial review of all completed applications submitted by April 30. A sub-group of the Admissions Committee will review all of these applications and give preliminary feedback as to percevied viability for the program based on a typical class profile. Final decisions will be made after reviewing all completed applications after the June 30th application deadline. Please allow 4-6 weeks after the final application due date for the administration's decision.
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering, Math, Physics, or other Science field preferred
- A minimum scholastic average of B or 3.0 GPA (or its equivalent, if the letter grade system is not used) is required for course work completed in the final two years of undergraduate study and any post baccalaureate study.
- Five years of professional work experience post bachelor's degree required.
- Resume or curriculum vitae illustrating experience and achievements
- Compelling statement of purpose including a description of individual strengths and interests, how the program will benefit the applicant professionally, and a statement of interest in the broad issues associated with enterprise-wide development of knowledge and decision support systems.
- Letters of Recommendation: Minimum of three letters of recommendation – highly encouraged to be from your current employer. You will be required to provide the email address of each recommender. They will be contacted automatically by the system and will upload their letters directly via the graduate admissions portal.
- Description of a proposed enterprise systems engineering capstone project (Students who do not have a project idea at the time of admission will be assigned a project by the AESE Co-Directors upon start of the program).
- TOEFL or IELTS Score: For international applicants only. The English language proficiency requirement can be waived if you have been working in the US for at least one full year.
- GRE: General Test is recommended. The GRE is only recommended for those with less than two years of work experience. If you have more than two years of work experience, you do not need to report GRE scores as they will not affect your application. We will not provide any information regarding average GRE scores of admitted students.
- Application Fee: The application fee is $120 for US Citizens & Permanent Residents and $140 for International Applicants. The non-refundable fee is payable by credit card through the online application. You may also pay by check, following the instructions in the online application. If you choose to pay by check, please note that your application will not be processed until your check has been received.
- Completion of online application for graduate admission
Your Statement of Purpose, Resume/Curriculum Vitae, TOEFL/IELTS scores (if applicable), and unofficial transcripts will be submitted online via the graduate admissions portal.
The recommenders will receive an email requesting a letter on your behalf. Once your recommender has submitted a letter, you will receive a confirmation email notifying you that UCSD has received the recommendation. The status of that particular recommendation will also change from pending to "received" in the Letter of Recommendation Management site.
If your recommenders have any issues submitting their Letters of Recommendation via the portal, please have them email Stacey Williams at email@example.com
Official copies of academic records (i.e. official transcripts) from all post-secondary institutions attended are required. Transcripts should be sent directly by the institution to our department address below. In addition,
scanned unofficial copies of all academic records need to be uploaded to your online application on the graduate admissions portal.
Please mail all official copies of academic records and official transcripts to:
Jacobs School of Engineering MAS
UC San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive, Mail Code 0439
La Jolla, CA, 92093-0439
Attention: Stacey Williams - Jacobs Hall Room 1203