Industry Job Postings
Sr. Bioinformatician (NGS)
Filing Deadline: Thu 7/27/2017
Looking for a Senior Bioinformatician who wants to revolutionize the science of predictive microecology.
Boost Biomes is a platform technology company focused on engineering microbiomes. These groups of microbes play critical roles in environments ranging from agriculture to human and animal health. Harnessing their power will be imperative to a future of sustainability on a fixed planet. Boost’s core technology is a proprietary discovery platform that uses high throughput sequencing, selective enrichment and advanced informatics to identify microbial products with important commercial roles. This approach is faster and less expensive than traditional approaches and uniquely identifies multi-microbial products which are often more effective than single microbe products at engineering microbiomes. Boost is uniquely positioned at the leading edge of a fast expanding field looking to tap into the value offered by understanding and engineering microbiomes.
As a Senior Bioinformatician at Boost Biomes, you will be lead the bioinformatics group, and be key founding member of the research team. You will optimize and extend Boost’s proprietary sequence based platform which uses microbial sequence data to predict microbial behavior in new environments. You and your group will be responsible for optimizing and extending the automated bioinformatics pipelines, designing and developing the data visualization and access interfaces with Boost experimental scientists, and collaborating with the Boost team to create and implement novel analyses to extract predictive information regarding microbial interactions. You are experienced with large-scale biological data analysis and have a background in genomics, microbial genomics and ecology, metagenomics or systems biology. You use mathematics and computer science to creatively solve problems and convert solutions into efficient scalable programs to be run in the cloud and high performance computing environments. You are excellent communicating with a range of media an audiences. You will have access to domain experts within the company to grow and develop both personally and professionally. This is a singular opportunity to work at the forefront of a cutting edge field with opportunities to make meaningful and impactful contributions to critical world problems.
We are looking for someone with
- Deep understanding of NGS assays, data and analysis with familiarity with the standard toolchains.
- WExperience running advanced computational biology projects to extract actionable information from biological data.
- Knowledge of microbiology, microbial ecology and/or host/microbial interactions and experience working with large genomics datasets.
- Deep knowledge of one of the following programming languages: C/C++, Python, Go, Java.
- Excellent command of Unix environment, shell scripting, R.
- Experience in establishing and maintaining a cloud-based computational pipeline, preferably through AWS
- Familiarity with SQL and/or noSQL databases is an asset.
- Ph.D. or Masters in Bioinformatics, Biological Sciences (Ecology, Microbiology), Genetics, Genomics, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics or related field is highly desirable.
- Industry experience is highly desirable.
Contact and Information
Boost Biomes, Inc.
499 Illinois Street, Suite 210 San Francisco, CA 94158Boostbiomes Website
- Jamie Bacher, Ph.D.
- Robert McBride, Ph.D..
- Adam Arkin, Ph.D.
Board and Advisors
- Chris Somerville, Ph.D.
- Jasper Rine, Ph.D.
- Tom Christensen