The Jacobs School of Engineering recruits engineering alumni and industry partners to serve as graduate student poster judges at Research Expo, April 18, 2019.
Judges Role and Registration
Poster judges play an important role in Research Expo and we welcome you to share an exciting day with us. Please review the following information to learn about of our judges time commitment.
- Please register:
- Judges criteria:
- hold a PhD in engineering (or a related field) or
- hold a bachelor's degree in engineering
- have 10+ years related industry experience
- Each judge is assigned 5-8 student posters to review.
- Prior to Research Expo, you will receive an email with your student poster assignments and links to poster abstracts. We ask judges preview the abstracts online in advance.
- Day of Research Expo, judges visit each of their assigned posters and interact with the student presenter.
- Judges will evaluate student poster presentations based on four major criteria (see Judging form as an example)
- Criteria are related to each student's ability to clearly communicate the significance of their work. For example:
- The student's opening 2-minute oral presentation: is well-prepared and concise?
- Does it provide a good synopsis of the significance of the research, results, and possible future applications?
- Are student's response to questions insightful? Do answers contribute to your overall understanding of the research?
- Is the poster well organized and visually appealing?
- Does the poster communicate the significance and relevance of the results?
- Students have reported their interactions with poster judges change the way they think about their projects.
- You have the opportunity to provide new and helpful perspectives on their research.
- You provide graduate students with valuable practice at communicating their work to technical, non-specialists.
Thursday, April 18, 2019
|11:30 AM||Parking Opens|
|12:00 PM||Judges Registration Opens|
|12:30 PM - 1:30 PM||Lunch / Judges Briefing|
|1:30 PM - 3:00 PM||Poster Judging|
|2:30 PM - 3:30 PM||Faculty Lightning Talks / Poster Viewing|
|3:30 PM - 4:30 PM||NEW! Recruiting Hour and Coffee Bar|
|4:30 PM - 6:00 PM||Awards and Reception|
Research Expo fee is waived for our judges. Please complete your registration to confirm your availability to serve as a poster judge by Friday, March 1, 2019. A confirmation of your Judge's registration will arrive within 24 hours. Please check your email regularly for additional details on the Expo as we approach the event date.
Please contact email@example.com