Not Offered in Summer 2020
COVID-19 Update: Our first priority is the health and safety of our students, faculty, staff, and visitors. Accordingly, the Summer Engineering Institute will not be offered in 2020. Visit this website for information on a 5-day summer program from September 8-12, 2020 to prepare you for college.
Get a jump start on your academic career at UC San Diego's 5-week, residential Summer Engineering Institute (SEI), and earn six credits towards your engineering degree. Receive support in making the transition from high school to the rigors of a university-level engineering curriculum, and build awareness of relevant campus programs and resources. Take part in organized social activities on evenings and weekends, and begin forming a peer network and make lasting friendships.
Six Course Credits
All SEI participants take ENG 10: Fundamentals of Engineering Applications (2 credits) where they experience a unique hands-on introduction into how engineers use mathematics to solve real-world engineering problems.
Participants also select one 4-credit course from their Engineering major:
- CSE 8A: Introduction to Computer Science: Java I
- ECE 5: Introduction to Electrical and Computer Engineering
- MAE 8: MATLAB Programming for Engineering Analysis
- NANO/CENG 15: Engineering Computation Using MATLAB
Incoming freshmen students admitted to an engineering major at UC San Diego.
Important Dates - Not Offered in Summer 2020
SEI Application Opens: March 16th, 2020
SEI Application Deadline: May 10th, 2020
Program Dates: Saturday, August 1 - Sunday, September 6, 2020
Direct Cost to Participate in Summer Engineering Institute 2020
This amount covers tuition and fees, housing (single or double room) and meals, and program fees.
- Students who enroll in ECE 5 will be charged a $100 lab fee which will be assessed with registration fees.
Scholarships and Financial Aid:
Summer financial aid and scholarships are available.
- We strongly encourage all SEI applicants to apply for summer financial aid by filling out the 2019-2020 FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application. You may have already completed the 2020-2021 FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application, but that support starts in the fall and doesn't help with the upcoming summer, so it is important to fill out the 2019-2020 application as well. For additional financial aid information, please visit fao.ucsd.edu.
- Academic Community for Engineering Success (ACES): The ACES program offers scholarships to support SEI attendance. ACES is a two-year program that engages and supports highly motivated engineering students from economically and educationally undeserved backgrounds. Click here to learn more about becoming an ACES Scholar.
- IDEA Scholars: The IDEA Scholars program fosters community building and academic excellence among our top incoming freshman engineering students from diverse backgrounds, and may provide financial assistance for attending SEI. Click here to learn more about becoming an IDEA Scholar.
- Note: You may apply to both the ACES and IDEA Scholars programs.
Follow the process below to release your financial aid and scholarship information to SEI, so that we may better assist you with your FAFSA and financial aid application.
To Apply - Not Offered in Summer 2020
- Go to the Summer Success Programs page.
- Log on with your Single Sign-On
- Select Summer Engineering Institute
- Complete the application
Note: As part of the application you will be asked to complete the following essay questions:
- Why are you inspired and motivated to study engineering? How do you plan to use your engineering degree in the future?
- Please describe an experience when you demonstrated commitment over an extended period of time. How has that commitment contributed to who you are today?
- In addition to applying to SEI, would you like to apply to the IDEA Scholars Program, or Academic Community for Engineering Success (ACES) Scholars Program? If you would like to become an IDEA or ACES Scholar, why do you feel like the IDEA or ACES Scholars Program will help you achieve your goal of graduating with an engineering degree? How do you believe you can contribute to the IDEA or ACES Scholars Program?
Summer Engineering Institute: (858) 534-6105 or firstname.lastname@example.org
ACES Scholars Program: Jessica Baldis at (858) 534-6779 or email@example.com
IDEA Scholars Program: Ruben Rodriguez at (858) 534-9939 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Office for Students with Disabilities
If you are a student with a disability (physical, chronic health, learning, mental health, ADHD, etc.) who may need accommodations in classrooms (lecture and/or examination), labs, housing and/or dining, recreational activities such as hiking, ropes, field sports, etc., please contact the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) at 858.534.4382 as soon as you become aware that the condition may impact your ability to participate in our programs.
Click here for additional information.
Veteran/CalVet Education Benefits
If you are a Military Affiliated student receiving Federal Veteran Affairs (VA) or Cal Vet assistance during the summer and would like to request more information, please contact the Student Veteran Benefits Coordinator, Lisa Linares at (858) 534-0477 or by email at email@example.com.
For more information, click here.