The Jacobs School of Engineering – IDEA Student Center Overnight Program partners with the SPICEE Overnight Program to offer activities and workshops that are culturally relevant and academically based.
High school seniors who have been admitted to an engineering major at UC San Diego have the option of participating in the Jacobs School of Engineering – IDEA Student Center Overnight Program, where they will engage in activities and attend special events organized by the IDEA Student Center, in partnership with the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), the Society of Women Engineers (SWE), the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE), Women in Computing (WIC), Out in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (oSTEM), Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers (SASE), and Triton Engineering Student Council (TESC). They include attending panel sessions on research and internships, connecting with faculty, networking with student organization leaders, and participating in social events with other admitted high school seniors and current engineering students. While students will have the opportunity to participate in joint activities with the other track of the Overnight Program, participants of the IDEA Engineering Student Center Overnight Program will spend most of their time together with the engineering cohort.
Engineering Overnight Program Dates: April 5 - 9, 2021
Activities start at 5pm daily. The schedule will be shared with participants before the program starts.
About UC San Diego's Overnight Program:
This is an invitation-only program for select UCSD-admitted high school seniors. This free 5-day program provides participants an opportunity to virtually experience the university environment and campus life at UC San Diego, network with other admitted high school seniors and current college students and learn about campus resources. Participants will be paired up with a current UC San Diego undergraduate who will serve as their host and mentor throughout the duration of the program.
Activities that will be coordinated include but are not limited to the following:
- Virtual exposure to on-campus resources such as community centers, academics, transition programs, research opportunities, etc.
- Learn the norms and cultures of college classrooms
- Panel sessions on research and internships
- Connect with current UC San Diego students who will share their daily college experience
- Network with engineering student leaders and learn how to get involved in student organizations and project teams
- Participate in virtual social activities (e.g. virtual game nights such as Among Us and Kahoot)
- Interact with other high school seniors who have been admitted to UC San Diego, current UC San Diego undergraduate students, UC San Diego Graduate Students, and UC San Diego staff and faculty members