Francesco Lanza di Scalea
Professor , Structural Engineering
Health Monitoring, Non-Destructive Evaluation and Experimental Mechanics of Materials and Structures
Professor Lanza di Scalea directs the NDE and Structural Health Monitoring Laboratory where he develops novel testing and diagnostics technologies to assess the properties of materials and structures. His specialties include: solid mechanics, structural dynamics, strain measurements, linear and nonlinear wave propagation, ultrasonic testing, acoustic emission testing, infrared thermographic testing, smart sensing technologies and digital signal processing applied to Health Monitoring, Non-Destructive Evaluation and Experimental Mechanics problems. Specific applications of these studies include: railroad tracks, prestressed concrete and steel bridges, composite aerospace structures, and composite wind turbine blades. His research has been funded by a variety of State and Federal Agencies, including the US Federal Railroad Administration, the US National Science Foundation, the US Air Force Office of Scientific Research, the US Department of State, the Los Alamos National Laboratory and the California Department of Transportation. Prof. Lanza di Scalea came to UC San Diego in 1999 and became Full Professor in 2007 at the age of 37.
Prior to joining UC San Diego in 1999, Lanza di Scalea received a Laurea Degree “Summa Cum Laude” in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Palermo in Italy in 1993, a Master of Science Degree as a Fulbright Scholar in Engineering Mechanics from Michigan State University in 1996, and a Ph.D. Degree in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Palermo in 1997. He was a Post-Doctoral Fellow at the Center for NDE of the Johns Hopkins University during 1998-1999. He is currently a Full Professor of Structural Engineering and the Director of the NDE & Structural Health Monitoring Laboratory at UC San Diego. Among his professional achievements, Prof. Lanza di Scalea was awarded the UC San Diego Hellman Faculty Fellow Award (2 times), the American Society for Nondestructive Testing Research Fellowship Award (3 times), the ASNT Faculty Grant Award, the Fulbright Scholarship, the “Structural Health Monitoring Person of the Year” Award, the “Best Teacher Award” from the Department of Structural Engineering, and various Best Paper Awards at scholarly conferences. He is a Fellow of the Acoustical Society of America (ASA), of the American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT), and of the Society for Experimental Mechanics (SEM). He currently serves on the Editorial Board of the following peer-reviewed journals: Experimental Mechanics, International Journal of Structural Health Monitoring, Journal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures, Research in Nondestructive Evaluation, and ASME Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, Diagnostics and Prognostics of Engineering Systems. He also serves on the Railway Maintenance Committee (AR060) of the US National Transportation Research Board and on the Technical Advisory Committee of the National University Rail (NURail) Center of the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. In the past, he has served as an Expert on the Panel on Rail Safety Technologies for the US Government Accountability Office (GAO) for presentation to the US Congressional Committee on Rail Transportation.
· Post-doctoral Fellow, Center for Non-destructive Evaluation, Materials Science and Engineering, The Johns Hopkins University (1998-1999)
· Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Palermo, Italy (1997)
· M.S. and Fulbright Scholar, Engineering Mechanics, Michigan State University (1996)
· Laurea (M.S.), Summa cum Laude, Mechanical Engineering, University of Palermo, Italy (1993)
Honors and Awards
Courses Typically Taught:
Editorial/Review Activities (selected):
Professional Memberships (selected):
Conference Committees (selected):
· Lanza di Scalea, F. and Cloud, G., Nondestructive Testing Chapter, 12th edition of the Standard Mechanical Engineering Mark’s Handbook, McGraw Hill, 2017.
· Lanza di Scalea, F., Zhu, X., Capriotti, M., Liang, A., Mariani, S., and Sternini, S., “Passive Extraction of Dynamic Transfer Function from Arbitrary Ambient Excitations: Application to High-speed Rail Inspection from Wheel-generated Waves,” ASME Journal of Nondestructive Evaluation, Diagnostics and Prognostics of Engineering Systems, in press, 2017 (DOI: 10.1115/1.4037517).
· Mariani, S., Nguyen, T., Zhu, X. and Lanza di Scalea, F., “Field Test Performance of Non-contact Ultrasonic Rail Inspection System,” ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part A: Systems, 143(5), 2017 (DOI: 10.1061/JTEPBS.0000026).
· Lanza di Scalea, F., Sternini, S. and Nguyen, T., “Ultrasonic Imaging in Solids Using Wave Mode Beamforming,” IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics and Frequency Control (IEEE-UFFC), 64(3), pp. 602-616, 2017.
· Zhu, X. and Lanza di Scalea, F., “Thermal Stress Measurement in Continuous Welded Rails Using the Hole-Drilling Method,” Experimental Mechanics, 57, pp. 165-178, 2017.
· Zhu, X. and Lanza di Scalea, F., “Sensitivity to Axial Stress of Electro-Mechanical Impedance Measurements,” Experimental Mechanics, 56, pp. 1599-1610, 2016.
· Pau, A. and Lanza di Scalea, F., “Nonlinear Guided Wave Propagation in Prestressed Plates,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 137(3), pp. 1529-1540, 2015.
· Bazilevs, Y., Deng, X., Korobenko, A., Lanza di Scalea, F., Todd, M.D. and Taylor, S.G., “Isogeometric Fatigue Damage Prediction in Large-Scale Composite Structures Driven by Dynamic Sensor Data,” ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, 82(9), pp. 0910081-09100812, 2015.
· Nucera, C., White, S., Chen, Z. M., Kim, H., and Lanza di Scalea, F., “Impact Monitoring In Stiffened Composite Aerospace Panels By Wave Propagation,” Structural Health Monitoring International Journal, 14(6), pp. 547-557, 2015.
· Nucera, C. and Lanza di Scalea, F., “Modeling of Nonlinear Guided Waves and Applications To Structural Health Monitoring,” ASCE Journal of Computing in Civil Engineering, Special Issue on Computing, SangHyun Lee, Burcin Becerik-Gerber, and Ioannis Brilakis, eds., 29(4), pp. B40140011- B401400115, 2015. (invited paper)
· Tippmann, J., Zhu, P., and Lanza di Scalea, F.,” Application of Damage Detection Methods Using Passive Reconstruction of Impulse Response Functions,” Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A – Mathematical, Physical and Engineering Sciences, Special Issue on New Perspectives in Offshore-Wind and Sea-Wave Energy Production, 373(2035), pp. 1-17, 2015. (invited paper)
· Nucera, C. and Lanza di Scalea, F., “Nonlinear Wave Propagation in Constrained Solids Subjected to Thermal Loads,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, 333(2), pp. 541-554, 2014.
· Nucera, C. and Lanza di Scalea, F., “Nonlinear Semi-Analytical Finite Element Algorithm for the Analysis of Internal Resonance Conditions In Complex Waveguides,” ASCE Journal of Engineering Mechanics, 140(3), pp. 502-522, 2014.
· Manohar, A. and Lanza di Scalea, F., “Wavelet-aided Multivariate Outlier Analysis to Enhance Defect Contrast in Thermal Images,” Experimental Techniques, 38(1), pp. 28-37, 2014.
· Manohar, A. and Lanza di Scalea, F., “Detection of Defects In Wind Turbine Composite Blades Using Statistically-Enhanced Lock-In Thermography,” Structural Health Monitoring International Journal, Special Issue on Noncontact Measurement Technologies, 12(5-6), pp. 566-574, 2014.
· Mariani, S., Nguyen, T., Phillips, R., Kijanka, P., Lanza di Scalea, F., Staszewski, W., Fateh, M. and Carr, G., “Non-Contact Air-Coupled Ultrasonic Guided Wave Inspection of Rails,” Structural Health Monitoring International Journal, Special Issue on Noncontact Measurement Technologies, 12(5-6), pp. 539-548, 2014.
· Manohar, A. and Lanza di Scalea, F., “Modeling 3-D Heat Flow Interaction with Defects in Composite Materials for Infrared Thermography,” NDT&E International Journal, 66, pp. 1-7, 2014.
· Manohar A. and Lanza di Scalea, F., “Determination of Defect Depth and Size Using Virtual Heat Sources in Pulsed Infrared Thermography,” Experimental Mechanics, 53(4), pp. 661-671, 2013.
· Lanza di Scalea, F., Rizzo, P., Salamone, S., Bartoli, I., Al-Nazer, L., “Ultrasonic Tomography for Three-Dimensional Imaging of Internal Rail Flaws: Proof-of-principle Numerical Simulations,” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, no. 2374, Washington DC, pp. 162-168, 2013.
· Salamone, S., Veletzsos, M., Lanza di Scalea, F., and Restrepo, J., “Detection of Initial Yield and Onset of Failure in Bonded Post-tensioned Concrete Beams,” ASCE Journal of Bridge Engineering, Special Issue on NDE/NDT for Bridge Inspection and Evaluation, 17(6), pp. 966-974, 2012.
· Coccia, S., Phillips, R., Bartoli, I., Salamone, S., Lanza di Scalea, F., Fateh, M., and Carr, G., “UCSD/FRA Non-contact Ultrasonic Guided Wave System for Rail Inspection: An Update,” Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Transportation Research Record no. 2261, pp. 143-147, 2011.
· Srivastava, A. and Lanza di Scalea, F., “Higher-harmonic generation in Nonlinear Waveguides of Arbitrary Cross-section,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 127(5), pp. 2790-2796, 2010.
· Srivastava, A. and Lanza di Scalea, F., “On the Existence of Longitudinal or Flexural Waves in Rods at Nonlinear Higher Harmonics,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, 329, pp. 1499-1506, 2010.
· Coccia, S., Salamone, S., Bartoli, I., Phillips, R., Lanza di Scalea, F., Fateh, M. and Carr, G., “Non-contact Ultrasonic Guided Wave Detection of Rail Defects,” Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Transportation Research Record, no. 2117, pp. 77-84, 2009.
· Salamone, S., Bartoli, I., Di Leo, P., Lanza di Scalea, F., Ajovalasit, A., D’Acquisto, L., Rhymer, J., and Kim, H., “High-velocity Impact Location on Aircraft Panels Using Macro-fiber Composite Piezoelectric Rosettes,” Journal of Intelligent Materials Systems and Structures, 21(9), pp. 887-896, 2010.
· Salamone, S., Fasel, T., Bartoli, I., Srivastava, A., Lanza di Scalea, F., and Todd, M., “Structural Health Monitoring of Adhesively-Bonded Joints in Aerospace Structures,” Materials Evaluation, Special Issue on Bond Inspection, pp. 828-836, July 2009 (invited).
· Lanza di Scalea, F. and Salamone, S., “Temperature Effects in Ultrasonic Lamb-wave Structural Health Monitoring Systems,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 124(1), pp. 161-174, 2008.
· Marzani, A., Viola, E., Bartoli, I., Lanza di Scalea, F., and Rizzo, P., “A Semi-analytical Finite Element Formulation for Modeling Stress Wave Propagation in Axisymmetric Damped Waveguides,” Journal of Sound and Vibration, 318(3), pp. 488-505, 2008.
· Sabra, K., Srivastava, A., Lanza di Scalea, F., Bartoli, I., Rizzo, P., and Conti, S., “Structural Health Monitoring by Extraction of Coherent Guided Waves from Diffuse Fields,” Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, 123(1), pp. EL8-EL13, 2008.
· Lanza di Scalea, F. “Ultrasonic Testing Applications in the Railroad Industry,” Chapter 15: Special Applications of Ultrasonic Testing, in Non-destructive Testing Handbook, 3rd edition, P.O. Moore, ed., American Society for Nondestructive Testing, pp. 535-552, 2007.
· Matt, H. and Lanza di Scalea, F., “Macro-fiber Composite Piezoelectric Rosettes for Acoustic Source Location in Complex Structures,” Smart Materials and Structures, 16(4), pp. 1489-1499, 2007.
Charles Lee Powell Structural Research Laboratories
Los Alamos National Laboratory Engineering Institute,
Jacobs School Faculty Update Your Profile