The application process is entirely online through UCSD's centralized graduate admissions portal. You will need a valid email address to create an account. This email address will be your login name. It will also be the primary line of communication between you and UC San Diego. Be sure to use an email address that will not change: do not use a temporary address. The activation email and additional instructions to complete your registration will be sent to this address once you create your account.
To begin the Application process, just create an account and then select the appropriate Term, Degree, and Program to find our application.
Veterans please note:
UCSD provides an application fee waiver for individuals with US Military Service. Please read the waiver information before deciding to apply. The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office can also provide military-affiliated students assistance on how to use their tuition benefits. Please visit this page for more information.
Fall 2024 Application Information
Term: Fall 2024
Degree: Master of Advanced Studies (MAS)
Program: Architecture-based Enterprise Systems Engineering (MC89)
October 4, 2023
June 19, 2024
Applications are reviewed every two months in the order they are received.
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering, Math, Physics, or other Science field preferred
- A minimum scholastic average of B or 3.0 GPA (or its equivalent, if the letter grade system is not used) is required for course work completed in the final two years of undergraduate study and any post baccalaureate study.
- Five years of professional work experience post bachelor's degree required.
- Resume or curriculum vitae illustrating experience and achievements
- Compelling statement of purpose including a description of individual strengths and interests, how the program will benefit the applicant professionally, and a statement of interest in the broad issues associated with enterprise-wide development of knowledge and decision support systems.
- Letters of Recommendation: Minimum of two letters of recommendation (three preferred) – highly encouraged to be from your current employer. You will be required to provide the email address of each recommender. They will be contacted automatically by the system and will upload their letters directly via the graduate admissions portal. It is important that you select recommenders who can assess your technical strengths relative to the program to which you are applying. The most credible recommendations come from trusted professionals, preferably in a supervisory role, who can compare you to other people they manage.
- Description of a proposed enterprise systems engineering capstone project (Students who do not have a project idea at the time of admission will be assigned a project by the AESE Co-Directors upon start of the program).
- TOEFL or IELTS Score: For international applicants only. The English language proficiency requirement can be waived if you have been working in the US for at least one full year.
- GRE: The GRE is not required, but you may upload scores for consideration if you have them.
- Application Fee: The application fee is $135 for US Citizens & Permanent Residents and $155 for International Applicants. The non-refundable fee is payable by credit card through the online application. Accepted cards: MasterCard, Visa, American Express, Discover, and JCB
- Completion of online application for graduate admission
Your Statement of Purpose, Resume/Curriculum Vitae, TOEFL/IELTS scores (if applicable), and unofficial transcripts will be submitted online via the graduate admissions portal.
The recommenders will receive an email requesting a letter on your behalf. Once your recommender has submitted a letter, you will receive a confirmation email notifying you that UCSD has received the recommendation. The status of that particular recommendation will also change from pending to "received" in the Letter of Recommendation Management site.
If your recommenders have any issues submitting their Letters of Recommendation via the portal, please have them email Stacey Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org
Scanned unofficial copies of all academic records need to be uploaded to your online application on the graduate admissions portal. If an offer of admission is made, you will need to have official transcripts sent to the Graduate Division at UC San Diego.
Official transcripts bear the signature of the authorized official of the issuing institution, the seal of the institution, and are received by the Graduate Admissions office in a sealed envelope from the institution. Domestic applicants can either bring the unopened transcripts into the office or have your institution(s) submit them electronically to email@example.com or mail them to UC San Diego directly at the following address:
University of California, San Diego
Graduate Education and Postdoctoral Affairs (GEPA) - Graduate Admissions
9500 Gilman Drive #0003
La Jolla, California 92093-0003
International applicants are required to complete and submit a WES Course-by-Course evaluation in order to have their admission to UC San Diego finalized. If you are an international applicant, do not have your official materials sent to UC San Diego directly.