In the Data Science and Engineering program, engineering professionals combine the skills of software programmer, database manager, and statistician to create mathematical models of the data, identify trends/deviations, then present them in effective visual ways that can be understood by others.
Data scientists unlock new sources of economic value, provide fresh insights into science, and inform decision makers by analyzing large, diverse, complex, longitudinal, and distributed data sets generated from instruments, sensors, internet transactions, email, video, and other digital sources.
Students entering the MAS program for a degree in Data Science and Engineering will undertake courses in programming, analysis, and applications management and visualization. This program requires three foundational courses and six core courses totaling 34 units, plus a capstone team project course of four units, for a total of 38 units.
Program Key Features
- In-person technical program taught by UCSD faculty experts
- Friday and/or Saturday class schedule, alternating weekends
- 10 courses, complete degree in 2 years
- Small class size, build network with engineering professionals
- Team-oriented capstone design project
- Earn a graduate degree from a world class institution and faculty in a unique, cross-disciplinary field.
- Emerge a technical leader in engineering design that will enhance career experiences and help to prepare for future technical challenges.
Computer Science & Engineering Dept.
- World-class leader in computer science and engineering education and research.
- Distinguished faculty who are leading, award-winning researchers committed to both research and teaching.
- World-class facilities and infrastructure for students, individual research efforts, and beyond
San Diego Supercomputer Center
- Leader in data-intensive computing and cyberinfrastructure, providing resources, services, and expertise to the national research community including industry and academia.
- Partner in XSEDE (Extreme Science and Engineering Discovery Environment), the most advanced collection of integrated digital resources and services in the world.
The program is targeted towards engineering professionals working in industries concerned with managing and utilizing large data sets. The program is designed for early to mid-career data scientists who are on a technical leadership track within their companies, or who are interested in expanding their knowledge & training in data science.