The application process is entirely online through UCSD's centralized graduate admissions portal. You will need a valid email address to create an account. This email address will be your login name. It will also be the primary line of communication between you and UC San Diego. Be sure to use an email address that will not change: do not use a temporary address. The activation email and additional instructions to complete your registration will be sent to this address once you create your account.
To begin the Application process, just create an account and then select the appropriate Term, Degree, and Program to find our application.
Veterans please note:
UCSD provides an application fee waiver for individuals with US Military Service. Please read the waiver information before deciding to apply.
Term: Fall 2021
Degree: Master of Advanced Studies (MAS)
Program: Wireless Embedded Systems - Computer Science and Engineering Track (CS83)
Wireless Embedded Systems - Electrical and Computer Engineering Track (EC88)
*Please note: The Wireless Embedded Systems program is an interdisciplinary program residing in both the Computer Science and Engineering (CSE) and Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) departments. For university reasons, we must assign a department to the program. Please select the track most closely related to your undergraduate degree and/or your current work. The coursework and program are identical - your selection will not affect your chances for admission.
International Applicants please note: This is a part-time master's degree program. If you require a student visa you will not qualify with this program (a student visa requires you to be enrolled full-time). This only applies to international students who require a student visa. This does not apply to other international applicants.
Applications Open: January 6, 2021
Early Consideration Review: May 5, 2021
Applications Close: July 7, 2021
* Please allow 4-6 weeks after the final application due date for the administration's decision.
- Undergraduate degree in Engineering, Math, Physics, or other Science field preferred
- A minimum scholastic average of B or 3.0 GPA (or its equivalent, if the letter grade system is not used) is required for course work completed in the final two years of undergraduate study and any post baccalaureate study.
- Two years of relevant work experience or equivalent post bachelor's degree required.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae: List your experience and achievements.
- Statement of Purpose: The statement of purpose is intended to give admissions committees an opportunity to know more about your background, interests, preparation for study and goals. Statements should be concise, addressing accomplishments that are relevant to this degree program.
- Letters of Recommendation*: Minimum of three letters of recommendation – highly encouraged to be from your current employer. You will be required to provide the email address of each recommender. They will be contacted automatically by the system and will upload their letters directly via the graduate admissions portal.
- TOEFL or IELTS Score: For international applicants only. The English language proficiency requirement can be waived if you have been working in the US for at least one full year.
- GRE: General Test is recommended. The GRE is only recommended for those with less than two years of work experience. If you have more than two years of work experience, you do not need to report GRE scores as they will not affect your application. We will not provide any information regarding average GRE scores of admitted students.
- Application Fee: The application fee is $120 for US Citizens & Permanent Residents and $140 for International Applicants. The non-refundable fee is payable by credit card through the online application. You may also pay by check, following the instructions in the online application. If you choose to pay by check, please note that your application will not be processed until your check has been received.
- Completion of online application for graduate admission
Your Statement of Purpose, Resume/Curriculum Vitae, TOEFL/IELTS scores (if applicable), and unofficial transcripts will be submitted online via the graduate admissions portal.
The recommenders will receive an email requesting a letter on your behalf. Once your recommender has submitted a letter, you will receive a confirmation email notifying you that UCSD has received the recommendation. The status of that particular recommendation will also change from pending to "received" in the Letter of Recommendation Management site.
If your recommenders have any issues submitting their Letters of Recommendation via the portal, please have them email Yvonne Wu at firstname.lastname@example.org
Official copies of academic records (i.e. official transcripts) from all post-secondary institutions attended are required. Transcripts should be sent directly by the institution to our department address below. In addition, scanned unofficial copies of all academic records need to be uploaded to your online application at the graduate admissions portal.
Please mail all official copies of academic records and official transcripts to:
Jacobs School of Engineering MAS
UC San Diego 9500 Gilman Drive, Mail Code 0439
La Jolla, CA, 92093-0439
Attention: Yvonne Wu - Jacobs Hall Room 1201