2021 Applications are now CLOSED
Only students that physically reside in the United States during the 2021 activities are eligible to attend COSMOS 2021. Students must further be able to receive packages to their US residence prior to the start of the program. These are requirements for all students regardless of their CA residency status for in-state tuition
- Returning Student Policy: Students can attend COSMOS only once.
- Students completing grades 8th - 12th by the summer
- Eighth-Grade Student Policy: Graduating 8th graders completing advanced mathematics or science courses will be considered for admission, and must be mature enough to participate in a one-month virtual program. A very small percentage of applying 8th graders are admitted to COSMOS each year.
Summer 2021 - Virtual Setting
- Only students that physically reside in the United States during the 2021 activities are eligible to attend COSMOS 2021.
- Students must further be able to receive packages to their US residence prior to the start of the program.
- These are requirements for all students regardless of their CA residency status for in-state tuition
- Complete and submit an online application.
- One or two completed online recommendation(s) from a math/science teacher.
- Transcripts for current year and at least one preceding academic year. Unofficial electronic transcripts accepted for the application period. Must be generated after January 20th, 2021. We will not accept transcripts that have been generated before. If admitted, Official Transcripts will be required.
- Select one campus - Students can only apply to ONE COSMOS Campus; chosen clusters must be at the same campus.
- Select a First and Second Choice Cluster: Choosing more than one cluster may increase your chance for acceptance. Write compelling essays for both choices.
- $30 application fee (paid online by credit card or check/money order mailed to address below). Don't forget to pay the Service Fee if you pay online.
- Financial Assistance form (online) - only for California residents (if requesting assistance). For more requirements, please visit COSMOS Statewide's Financial Aid tab for more information.
- Late postmarked items will not be considered and the application will be incomplete.
*EVERYTHING needs to be completed or submitted by the deadline. NO EXCEPTIONS.
For application FAQs, please visit the COSMOS Statewide's Site
- Cluster faculty review and choose admitted students based on information in the entire application and in comparison to other cluster applicants.
- Cluster prerequisites are a minimum requirement for consideration by cluster faculty.
- Overall grades in math/science courses are strongly considered over GPA.
- Honors and AP courses are recognized as more difficult.
- Average applicant GPA is 3.8 unweighted.
- All essays are read, all applications reviewed. Faculty read to determine the applicant's motivation and what they want out of their COSMOS experience. This is the student's opportunity to convince faculty that they should be chosen for this cluster.
- Teacher recommenders should be contacted early to ensure time for recommendation completion. Students should verify teachers have received their emailed link and completed their recommendation. The application does not need to be completed for the link to be sent to teachers. Student's may select a teacher from the previous year.
- Student Activities – Extracurricular activities surrounding math and science fairs, Math Olympiad, robotics competitions, student leadership positions, etc.
Transcript Mailing Address (Electronic copies accepted for Application Period)
9500 Gilman Dr., MC 0429
Jacobs Hall, Room 1205
La Jolla, CA 92093
- Unofficial electronic transcripts accepted via online submission by February 19th. (Transcripts must be generated after January 20th, 2021)
- Official transcripts will be required upon acceptance by April 16th. Must be postmarked to the mailing address above.
- Official transcripts will also be accepted via e-mail, but must be sent by a school official from their school e-mail address to email@example.com
Application Fee Mailing Address
COSMOS-Statewide Cashier's Office
University of California
PO Box 989062
West Sacramento, CA 95798-9062
- Make a check or money order payable to "UC Regents" (not COSMOS).
- Please note on the check or money order the Applicant's name and the campus they are applying to (i.e. Jane Doe, COSMOS UCSD).
- Online payment is available, however, service fees will apply.
Financial Aid Application & Supporting Documents Mailing Address (Optional)
Dates & Deadlines
January 20th, 2021
- Application opens
February 19th, 2021
- Application Closes (11:59PM, unsupported after 5:00PM PST)
- Teacher Recommendation (1 required to move forward)
- Parent/Guardian Electronic Signature (completed in the parent/guardian portal)
- $30 Application Fee Postmark Deadline (online payment available, however, service fees will apply)
- Unofficial Transcripts Deadline (upload online with application)
- Financial Aid Online Application & Supporting Documents Postmark Deadline (if applicable)
April 9th, 2021
- Admission Decisions Posted (5:00PM PST)
April 16th, 2021
- Acceptance and $200 Deposit (11:59PM PST, unsupported after 5PM PST)
- Official Transcripts Deadline
May 7th, 2021
- Admitted Student Waivers Deadline
- $1917 Remaining Tuition Due
July 6th, 2021
- COSMOS Opening Day
July 31st, 2021
- COSMOS Closing Day
For more information, please view COSMOS Statewide's Dates & Deadlines.
Questions? Contact COSMOS at firstname.lastname@example.org.