The following must be submitted online or postmarked by February 7th, 2020:
Application Fee Mailing Address
COSMOS-Statewide Cashier's Office
University of California
PO Box 989062
West Sacramento, CA 95798-9062
- Make check or money order payable to "UC Regents" (not COSMOS).
- Please note on the check or money order the Applicant's name and the campus they are applying to (i.e. Jane Doe, COSMOS UCSD).
- Online payment is available, however, service fees will apply.
Transcripts Mailing List
9500 Gilman Dr., MC 0429
Jacobs Hall, Room 1205
La Jolla, CA 92093
- Unofficial transcripts accepted via online submission by February 7th.
- Official transcripts will be required upon acceptance by April 10th. These MUST be postmarked to the address above.
Financial Aid Application & Supporting Documents Mailing Address (Optional)
230 Physical Sciences
& Engineering Library
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616-8596
- In addition to the online financial aid application, please also postmark additional supporting documents to the address above. Supporting documents include tax return cover sheet or TANF.
- Please black out any Social Security Numbers.
- For more information, please visit the COSMOS Statewide website.
Application Process Information
- Completed and submitted online application.
- One or two completed online recommendation(s) from a math/science teacher.
- Transcripts for current year and at least one preceding academic year. Unofficial transcripts accepted for the application period. if admitted, Official Transcripts will be required.
- $30 application fee (paid online by credit card or check/money order mailed to address above).
- Financial Assistance form - only for California residents (if requesting assistance).
- International students only: submit official TOEFL scores; 550 written, 80 online or Band Score of 7 for IELTS.
- Late postmarked items will not be considered and the application will be incomplete.
- Cluster faculty review and choose admitted students based on information in the entire application and in comparison to other cluster applicants.
- Cluster pre-requisites are a minimum requirement for consideration by cluster faculty.
- Overall grades in math/science courses are strongly considered over GPA.
- Honors and AP courses are recognized as more difficult.
- Average applicant GPA is 3.8 unweighted.
- All essays are read, all applications reviewed. Faculty read to determine the applicant's motivation and what they want out of their COSMOS experience. This is the student's opportunity to convince faculty that they should be chosen for this cluster.
- Teacher recommenders should be contacted early to ensure time for recommendation completion. Student's should verify teachers have received their emailed link and completed their recommendation. The application does not need to be completed for the link to be sent to teachers. Student's may select a teacher from the previous year.
- Student Activities – Extra-curricular activities surrounding math and science fairs, Math Olympiad, robotics competitions, student leadership positions, etc.
Additional Application Information
- Returning Student Policy: students can attend COSMOS only once.
- Eighth-Grade Student Policy: Graduating 8th graders completing advanced mathematics or science courses will be considered for admission, and must be mature enough to participate in a one-month residential program. A very small percentage of applying 8th graders are admitted to COSMOS each year.
- Students can apply to ONE COSMOS Campus; chosen clusters must be at the same campus.
- Select a First and Second Choice Cluster: Choosing more than one cluster may increase your chance for acceptance. Write compelling essays for both choices.
Dates & Deadlines
January 6th, 2020
- Application opens
February 7th, 2020
- Application Closes (11:59PM, unsupported after 5:00PM PST)
- $30 Application Fee Postmark Deadline (online payment available, however, service fees will apply)
- Unofficial Transcripts Deadline (upload online with application)
- Financial Aid Online Application & Supporting Documents Postmark Deadline (if applicable)
March 27th, 2020
- Admission Decisions Posted (5:00PM PST)
April 10th, 2020
- Acceptance and $200 Deposit (11:59PM PST, unsupported after 5PM PST)
- Official Transcripts Postmark Deadline
May 8th, 2020
- Admitted Student Waivers Postmark Deadline
- Tuition Payment Deadline
July 5th, 2020
- COSMOS Opening Day
August 1st, 2020
- COSMOS Closing Day
For more information, please view COSMOS Statewide's Dates & Deadlines.
Questions? Contact COSMOS at email@example.com.