Applications for COSMOS 2023 are CLOSED.
- Returning Student Policy: Students can attend COSMOS only once.
- Students completing grades 8th - 12th by the summer
- Eighth-Grade Student Policy: Graduating 8th graders completing advanced mathematics or science courses will be considered for admission, and must be mature enough to participate in a one-month virtual program. A very small percentage of applying 8th graders are admitted to COSMOS each year.
Summer 2023 - In Person Setting
- For the 2023 program, COSMOS is limited to residents of California ONLY.
- All students must show proof of COVID vaccination prior to the start of the program.
- All students must show proof of a negative COVID test result prior to arrival.
- Complete and submit an online application.
- One or two completed online recommendation(s) from a math/science teacher.
- Transcripts for current year and at least one preceding academic year. Unofficial electronic transcripts accepted for the application period. Must be generated after January 11th, 2023. We will not accept transcripts that have been generated before. If admitted, Official Transcripts will be required.
- Select one campus - Students can only apply to ONE COSMOS Campus; chosen clusters must be at the same campus.
- Select a First and Second Choice Cluster: Choosing more than one cluster may increase your chance for acceptance. Write compelling essays for both choices.
- $40 application fee (paid online by credit card or check/money order mailed to address below).
- Financial Assistance form (online) - only for California residents (if requesting assistance). For more requirements, please visit COSMOS Statewide's Financial Aid tab for more information.
- Late postmarked items will not be considered and the application will be incomplete.
*EVERYTHING needs to be completed or submitted by the deadline. NO EXCEPTIONS.
For application FAQs, please visit the COSMOS Statewide's Site
- Cluster faculty review and choose admitted students based on information in the entire application and in comparison to other cluster applicants.
- Cluster prerequisites are a minimum requirement for consideration by cluster faculty.
- Overall grades in math/science courses are strongly considered over GPA.
- Honors and AP courses are recognized as more difficult.
- Average applicant GPA is 3.8 unweighted.
- To calculate unweighted GPA please visit this Unweighted GPA Calculator.
- All essays are read, all applications reviewed. Faculty read to determine the applicant's motivation and what they want out of their COSMOS experience. This is the student's opportunity to convince faculty that they should be chosen for this cluster.
- Teacher recommenders should be contacted early to ensure time for recommendation completion. Students should verify teachers have received their emailed link and completed their recommendation. The application does not need to be completed for the link to be sent to teachers. Student's may select a teacher from the previous year.
- Student Activities – Extracurricular activities surrounding math and science fairs, Math Olympiad, robotics competitions, student leadership positions, etc.
Transcript Mailing Address (Electronic copies PREFERRED)
Official transcripts will be preferred via e-mail, but must be sent by a school official from their school e-mail address to firstname.lastname@example.org.
9500 Gilman Dr., MC 0429
Jacobs Hall, Room 1205
La Jolla, CA 92093
- Unofficial electronic transcripts accepted via online submission by February 11th. (Transcripts must be generated after January 11th, 2023)
- Official transcripts will be required upon acceptance by May 5th. Must be postmarked to the mailing address above if mailing.
Application Fee Mailing Address
COSMOS-Statewide Cashier's Office
University of California
PO Box 989062
West Sacramento, CA 95798-9062
- Make a check or money order payable to "UC Regents" (not COSMOS).
- Please note on the check or money order the Applicant's name and the campus they are applying to (i.e. Jane Doe, COSMOS UCSD).
- Online payment is available.
Financial Aid Application & Supporting Documents Mailing Address (Optional)
230 Physical Sciences
& Engineering Library
One Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616-8596
- See COSMOS Statewide's Financial Aid tab for more information.
For more information, please visit the COSMOS Statewide website.
Dates & Deadlines
January 11th, 2023
- Application opens
February 10th, 2023
- Application Closes (11:59PM, unsupported after 5:00PM PST)
- Teacher Recommendation (1 required to move forward)
- Parent/Guardian Electronic Signature (completed in the parent/guardian portal)
- $40 Application Fee Postmark Deadline (online payment available)
- Unofficial Transcripts Deadline (upload online with application)
- Financial Aid Online Application & Supporting Documents Postmark Deadline (if applicable)
March 31st, 2023
- Admission Decisions Posted (5:00PM PST)
April 12th, 2023
- Acceptance and 1/3rd of total tuition Deposit (11:59PM PST, unsupported after 5PM PST)
- Official Transcripts Deadline
April 21st, 2023
- Admitted Student Waivers Deadline
- Remaining 2/3rds Tuition Due
May 5th, 2023
- Waiver Packet due
July 9th, 2023
- COSMOS Opening Day
August 4th, 2023
- COSMOS Closing Day
For more information, please view COSMOS Statewide's Dates & Deadlines.
Questions? Contact COSMOS at email@example.com.