Transfer Prep is a 4-day program held over the summer for incoming transfer engineering students. This FREE program provides incoming students with the opportunity to acclimate to campus life, build skills and habits necessary for success in engineering, and develop community amongst their peers before beginning their courses in the fall.
This free program provides incoming transfer engineering students an opportunity to interact and build community with peers and current engineering students who will serve as your mentors throughout the duration of the program. You will participate in academic and social activities that include connecting with faculty, staff and current students through workshops, small group discussions, and information sessions.
During Transfer Prep you have the option of staying on campus or commuting. If you choose to stay on campus you will spend three nights in UC San Diego housing with your fellow Transfer Prep participants and Transfer Prep Leaders, and all meals will be provided. If you commute, lunch, dinner, and parking will be provided.
- Foster a sense of community and support among participating students
- Prepare incoming students academically for the rigor of engineering studies
- Provide incoming students tools to aid in the transition from community college to UC San Diego's Jacobs School of Engineering
- Build awareness of relevant campus programs and resources
- Connect transfer engineering students to industry and professional networks
Program Dates: Sunday August 27, 2023 - Wednesday August 30, 2023
Transfer Prep Application Opens: Monday, May 1, 2023
Transfer Prep Application Deadline: Monday, July 3, 2023
- Incoming transfer students admitted to an engineering major at UC San Diego who have accepted their Offer of Admission.
- We highly encourage students underrepresented in the field of engineering to apply (first generation, low-income, women, historically underrepresented students, veteran/military-affiliated students, students with disabilities, and older students/students with dependents)
FREE. The IDEA Engineering Student Center will be providing Transfer Prep at no cost to the student.
Feedback from Participants
This is a great opportunity to start your university career in general. I actually think Transfer Prep should be a must for every transfer Engineering student.
I would 100% recommend this program to other students. I met so many great friends, and found the community I was hoping to have in JSOE. I am so much more confident in my ability to be a successful student at UCSD.
Because it was more than I could have imagined. In some ways it still hasn’t 100% sunken in that I’m a UCSD Triton, but I feel at home now already and I’m so thankful for the friends I’ve made, how truly spoiled we all were by/during this program, and the invaluable resources as far as information and connections that the activities provided. I’m very grateful I was able to be a participant.
Make friends early! Breaks the ice of your own nervousness regarding the impending fall quarter. Meet Faculty! Meet mentors! Familiarize yourself with campus! Walk around the nearby neighborhood! Blah blah blah, I see no downsides of the entire event.