Get a jump start on your academic career at UC San Diego's 5-week, Summer Engineering Institute (SEI), and earn six credits towards your engineering degree. Receive support in making the transition from high school to the rigors of a university-level engineering curriculum, and build awareness of relevant campus programs and resources. Take part in organized social activities on evenings and weekends, and begin forming a peer network and make lasting friendships.
Six Course Credits
All SEI participants take ENG 15: Engineer Your Success (2 credits) where you create an individualized plan about your goals as an engineering student and future professional engineer, and how you will apply what you learned from the class to achieve those goals.
Participants also select one 4-credit course from their Engineering major:
- CSE 8A: Introduction to Programming and Computational Problem-Solving I
- CSE 11: Introduction to Programming and Computational Problem-Solving Accelerated Pace
- ECE 5: Introduction to Electrical and Computer Engineering
- MAE 8: MATLAB Programming for Engineering Analysis
- NANO 11: Introduction to NanoEngineering
- CENG 15: Engineering Computation Using MATLAB
- SE 9: Algorithms and Programming for Structural Engineering
Incoming freshmen students admitted to an engineering major at UC San Diego who have accepted their Offer of Admission.
SEI Application Opens: April 3, 2023
SEI Application Deadline: May 21, 2023
Program Dates: Saturday, August 5 - Saturday, September 9, 2023
Direct Cost to Participate in Summer Engineering Institute 2023
Projected Total Cost:
Single Housing: $5,290
Double Housing: $5,150
This amount covers housing and dining, tuition and fees, and program fees.
- Students who enroll in ECE 5 will be charged a $100 lab fee which will be assessed with registration fees.
- Students can opt in for an early start UC SHIP (Student Health Insurance Plan) or elect to pay a $30 access fee if they choose to waive out of UC SHIP.
- Summer fees are subject to change.
Watch this video to learn more about the summer billing process
Click here to view the presentation slides
Scholarships and Financial Aid
Summer financial aid and scholarships are available.
- We strongly encourage all SEI applicants to apply for summer financial aid by filling out the 2022-2023 FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application. You may have already completed the 2023-2024 FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application, but that support starts in the fall and doesn't help with the upcoming summer, so it is important to fill out the 2022-2023 application as well.
- IDEA Scholars: The IDEA Scholars program fosters community building and academic excellence among our top incoming freshman engineering students from diverse backgrounds, and may provide financial assistance for attending SEI. Click here to learn more about becoming an IDEA Scholar.
- Check the Financial Aid and Scholarships website for additional information on how to apply for Summer Financial Aid
Step 1: Accept your Offer of Admission and pay enrollment deposit (if required) in the Applicant
Portal at https://beatriton.ucsd.edu/status
Step 2: Within 48 hours of accepting the offer, you will receive an email inviting you to log onto
the Triton Checklist with instructions to create your First Time User Account.
Step 3: Click "First Time User" link on the right hand side of the UserID box. You will be asked
to provide your UC Application ID, Date of Birth, City of Birth, and email address you used on
your UC application for authentication of your credentials
Step 4: Once your information is authenticated, you will be provided with your official PID
(personal identification number) and asked to create a password. This is your new PID for UC
San Diego you will use for all student transactions.
Step 5: Log onto the Triton Checklist to activate your UCSD email account. Once you have
activated your UCSD email account, monitor your UCSD email as all program correspondence
will be sent to your UCSD email address. After authentication, your email account may take up
to 48 hours to register in campus systems.
Step 6: Apply to SEI! Click on the Summer Engineering Institute Application Link to start your application.
Step 7: Sign on as Student Single Sign-on (SSO) with your new PID and Password.
Step 8: Once you log in, please answer all the necessary essay questions for SEI and submit
Step 9: Complete the 2021-22 (previous year) FAFSA to apply for Summer Financial Aid. You
may have already completed the 2022-23 (next year) FAFSA to apply for financial aid for the
upcoming academic year. However, you must also complete the 2021-22 (previous year)
FAFSA to apply for Summer Financial Aid for SEI.
NOTE: Your Summer Financial Aid Award will be processed only after you have submitted your 2021-2022 FAFSA and you have enrolled in your SEI courses. Processing can take weeks, so please submit your 2021-2022 FAFSA as soon as possible.
Check the Financial Aid and Scholarships website for additional information on how to apply for Summer Financial Aid.
2023 SEI Checklist will be available in May
- This checklist of action items is required to be completed by students who have confirmed their participation in the Summer Engineering Institute.
- Contact Alejandra Arguelles at the IDEA Engineering Student Center by email email@example.com if you have any questions.
Summer Financial Aid: If you have not submitted your 2022-2023 FAFSA or CA Dream Act Application, please do so as soon as possible, and no later than the June 30th deadline. Your Summer Award (if eligible) will be applied towards the cost of participating in SEI. Note that your Summer Financial Aid Award will be processed only after you have submitted your 2022-2023 FAFSA and you have enrolled in your SEI courses. Processing can take weeks, so please submit your 2022-2023 FAFSA as soon as possible.
Check the Financial Aid and Scholarships website for additional information on how to apply for Summer Financial Aid: https://fas.ucsd.edu/summer-session/
Feedback from SEI Participants
SEI was the best decision I ever made, and I feel very ready to start fall quarter knowing I am coming in with friendships I know will last a very long time. I learned a lot of the campus very well, and I learned about many resources I probably would have never heard about. It was an amazing five weeks.
SEI was very worthwhile for me as I met new people with similar interests as me, and made connections before the school year even started. The classes were very helpful for me, and the events that were put on fostered bonding of participants, which was very good.
SEI was a good program. It helped me get used to the university life and made me realize some of the habits I have to change to fully take advantage of resources.
I really enjoyed my time here and bonded well with my suitemates. I like how it eased me more gradually into college life and how we were able to have easy access to older UCSD students to ask them questions.
Summer Engineering Institute: firstname.lastname@example.org
IDEA Scholars Program: email@example.com
Office for Students with Disabilities
If you are a student with a disability (physical, chronic health, learning, mental health, ADHD, etc.) who may need accommodations in classrooms (lecture and/or examination), labs, housing and/or dining, recreational activities such as hiking, ropes, field sports, etc., please contact the Office for Students with Disabilities (OSD) at 858.534.4382 as soon as you become aware that the condition may impact your ability to participate in our programs. Click here for additional information.
Veteran/CalVet Education Benefits
If you are a Military Affiliated student receiving Federal Veteran Affairs (VA) or Cal Vet assistance during the summer, you may want to verify your benefits and how your participation may be affected. Please contact the Student Veteran Benefits Coordinator, Lisa Linares at (858) 534-0477 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, click here.