About the Travel Fund
The Jacobs School of Engineering Student Travel Fund was established with generous donations from the 2013 graduating senior class in conjunction with the annual Ring Ceremony. Through their giving efforts, our graduating students came together as Tritons helping to secure enhanced learning opportunities for future Jacobs School students. Seniors from each graduating class help to ensure this award will continue to assist rising engineers for years to come.
The Jacobs School of Engineering Student Travel Fund provides opportunities for undergraduate engineering students to apply for funds to assist with travel and lodging costs at conferences or competitions. The selection committee will meet during the academic year to review applications and determine who is awarded with the fund.
- Deadline: Applications for funding must be received at least 4 weeks prior to the conference, competition, or travel date, whichever occurs first.
- Maximal award per student: $300.
- Any undergraduate student with a major declared in the Jacobs School of Engineering is eligible. Please check HERE for a list of included majors (Undeclared students and Graduate students are ineligible)
- Students may only apply once a year.
- Conference specifications: Any opportunity in which the student is invited to display or present their work in a professional environment OR the student is attending a conference for networking purposes and professional development.
- Competition specifications: Students who are part of project-based teams that submit their project to a competition, showcase, conference or exhibition. Note that large project teams that are sending a big contingent of their members to compete in a regional or national competition are encouraged to apply to the A.S. Tournament and Competition Fund or the Triton Tournament/Competition Fund, as they have larger funding amounts.
- The Student Travel Fund can only reimburse fees relating to transportation, conference attendance/registration, and lodging.
- Proof of attendance and payment is necessary. Funds are provided to students on a reimbursement basis only.
- Upon returning from conference or related travel, students must submit all required forms and documentation (as outlined in the section titled "Reimbursement Guidelines") for the reimbursement process to be completed.
- Individual students applying to attend a Student Organization National Conference (E.g., NSBE Convention, SWE National Conference, SHPE National Convention, etc.) that has been awarded Matching Funds will not be approved, and will be directed to reach out to the student organization directly.
- Student Project teams who have received Matching Funds are not eligible for Student Travel Funds within the same academic year.
Applications closed. Applications will reopen in winter quarter.
After submitting the Student Travel Fund request, all applications are reviewed by a committee of Jacobs School students under the supervision of the IDEA Engineering Student Center.
Student applicants will receive communication pertaining to their award status to their UC San Diego email address. Award recipients will receive detailed instructions on completing a Student Certification Form. The form must be completed and returned to the IDEA Student Center Office in advance of taking the actual conference/event travel.
Deadline: Applications for funding must be received at least 4 weeks prior to the conference, competition, or travel date, whichever occurs first.
The Student Travel Fund Committee meets to review applications during the Academic Year. Applications for Student Travel Fund during the summer will not be considered, with the exception of applications for conferences or competitions that are being held in Fall Quarter.
As Student Travel Funds are disbursed on a reimbursement basis, in order to process reimbursement requests individual students who received a tentative award should complete the Student Travel Fund Post-Travel Survey within one week of completing their trip. The award amount may change if a student receives additional funding outside of the IDEA Engineering Student Center that was not confirmed or disclosed during the application process. The survey requires students to submit the following items:
- ALL original receipts for qualified/approved conference costs (transportation, conference attendance/registration, and lodging).
- A travel reimbursement survey
- Confirmation of other funds received for trip and the contact information for these funds
- 3-5 photos of the event you attended
Questions? Please contact the Student Travel Fund Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Other Funding Options on Campus: