Distinguished Professor, SE
Structural Analysis and Dynamics, Structural Reliability and Risk Analysis, Earthquake Engineering, Damage Diagnosis and Prognosis for Civil Structures.
By using computers to develop complex models, data from experimental testing in the laboratory, and field data from real structures, Professor Conte's work leads to methodologies for probabilistic performance assessment of civil structures. His research leads to the design of safer and more economic structures, especially regarding the earthquake hazard. He is also developing methods based on sensor arrays and system identification techniques to detect and identify sudden hidden damage or progressive deterioration in civil infrastructure systems.
Prior to joining UCSD in 2001, Joel Conte was an associate professor of civil engineering at UCLA and Rice University. He is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) and the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute. He is also a member of the Chi Epson civil engineering honor society. Conte was named "Civil Engineering Professor of the Year" at Rice University and is a recipient of the Research Initiation Award from the National Science Foundation.
- Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley (1990)
- M.S. University of California, Berkeley (1986)
- Diploma of Civil Engineering, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne, Switzerland (1985)
- James H. Robbins Excellence-in-Teaching Award, Pacific District, Chi-Epsilon, 2000-2001
- Member, Chi Epsilon Civil Engineering Honor Society, 1995
- Professor of the Year Award, Civil Engineering Honor Society, Rice University, "in recognition of exemplary commitment to undergraduate teaching", 1994
- Research Initiation Award, National Science Foundation, 1992
- Research Initiation Award, Engineering Foundation, 1992
- Scholarship from the "Société Académique Vaudoise", 1985
- Swiss National Science Foundation Graduate Fellowship, 1985-1987
- Vaudoise Society of Civil Engineers and Architects Award, 1985
- He, X., Moaveni, B., Conte, J. P., Elgamal, A., and Masri, S., (2004). “System Identification of Vincent Thomas Bridge Using Simulated Wind Response Data,” Proceedings, 2nd International Conference on Bridge Maintenance, Safety and Management, Kyoto, Japan.
- Zona, A., Barbato, M., and Conte, J. P., (2004). “Finite Element Response Sensitivity Analysis of Continuous Steel-Concrete Composite Beams,” Proceedings, 2nd International Conference on Steel and Composite Structures, Seoul, Korea.
- Zhang, Y., Acero, G., Conte, J. P., Yang, Z., and Elgamal, A., (2004). “Seismic Reliability Assessment of a Bridge Ground System,” Proceedings, 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, BC Canada, pp. 2978.
- Van Den Einde, L, Restrepo, J., Conte, J. P., Luco, E., Seible, F., Filiatrault, A., Clark, A., Johnson, A., Gram, M., Kusner, D., and Thoen, B., (2004). “Development of the George E. Brown Jr. Network for Earthquake Engineering Simulation (NEES) Large High Performance Outdoor Shake Table at the University of California, San Diego,” Proceedings, 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver, BC Canada, pp. 3281.
- Conte, J. P., Barbato, M., and Spacone, E., (2004). “Finite Element Response Sensitivity Analysis Using Force-Based Frame Models,” International Journal for Numerical Methods in Engineering, Vol. 59, Issue 13, pp. 1781-1820.
- Conte, J. P., Vijalapura, P., and Meghella, M., (2003). “Consistent Finite Element Response Sensitivities Analysis,” Journal of Engineering Mechanics, ASCE, Vol. 129, No. 12, pp. 1380-1393.
- Trombetti, T. L., and Conte, J. P., (2000). “Shaking Table Dynamics: Results from a Test-Analysis Comparison Study,” Journal of Earthquake Engineering, Vol. 6, No. 4, pp. 513-551.
- Conte, J. P., and Trombetti, T. L., (2000). “Linear Dynamic Modeling of a Uni-Axial Servo-Hydraulic Shaking Table System,” Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics, Vol. 29, No. 9, pp. 1375-1404.
- Vijalapura, P. K., Conte, J. P., and Meghella, M., (1999). “Time-Variant Reliability Analysis of Hysteretic SDOF Systems with Uncertain Parameters and Subjected to Stochastic Loading,” Proceedings, 8th Conference on Applications of Statistics and Probability in Civil Engineering (ICASP8), pp. 827-834, Sydney, Australia.
- Stewart, J. P., Conte, J. P., and Aiken, I. D., (1999) “Observed Behavior of Seismically Isolated Buildings,” Journal of Structural Engineering, ASCE, Vol. 125, No. 9, pp. 955-964.