J. Enrique E. Luco
Prof Emeritus, Structural Engineering
Earthquake engineering, strong motion seismology, soil structure interaction.
Professor Luco is an expert in earthquake engineering, and structural and soil dynamics He uses computational modeling and large-scale testing to evaluate the behavior and interaction of structures and soils during seismic events. Luco has developed active vibration control mechanisms for tall buildings, and has used systems identification techniques to determine changes in structural behavior.
Prior to coming to UCSD in 1974, J. Enrique Luco was a senior research fellow at Caltech. A former associate dean at the Jacobs School, Luco was awarded the Walter L. Huber, Civil Engineering Research Prize from the ASCE in 1986. His research interests are in the areas of earthquake engineering, and structural and soil dynamics. Luco in a member of the editorial board for the International Journal of Soil Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering.
- Ph.D., University of California at Los Angeles, Structural Engineering (1969)
- Civil Engineer, University of Chile, Santiago, Chile, Structural Engineering (1967)
- Walter L. Huber, Civil Engineering Research Prize, ASCE, 1986
- Ismael Valdes Valdes Award, Instituto de Ingenieros de Chile, 1969
- Marcos Orrego Puelma Award, Instituto de Ingenieros de Chile, 1968