Professor, Structural Engineering
Earthquake engineering, seismic analysis and design of steel of structures, large-scale testing.
Professor Uang’s research is in the seismic design, rehabilitation, and testing of large-scale steel structures, including buildings and bridges. He studies seismic code design issues and actively participates in code committees to ensure that structures perform well and withstand forces during earthquakes. Uang has served in a variety of capacities in professional engineering societies. He is a member of the Committee on Specifications, Committee of Research, and Connection Prequalification Review Panel for the American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC). Uang received three research awards from American Society of Civil Engineers: Raymond C. Reese Research Prize in 2001 as well as Moisseiff Award in 2004 and 2014. AISC awarded him a Special Achievement Award in 2007 for his contributions in research and service to the steel industry. Uang is coauthor of two textbooks on structural analysis and structural steel design and three book chapters.
Chia-Ming Uang joined UCSD in 1993 after serving on the faculty at Northeastern University in Boston, MA for six years. Prior to entering the world of academia, Uang was a structural designer in Taipei, Taiwan. He is a member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, the American Institute of Steel Construction, the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute, the American Welding Society, and the Structural Engineers Association of California. Uang’s outstanding teaching is reflected by the many teaching awards he received, which include the Distinguished Teaching Award from the UCSD Academic Senate (2004), the Outstanding Engineering Professor Award from the national engineering honor society, Tau Beta Pi (2002), the Outstanding Teaching Award from Earl Warren College (2010), the Teacher of the Year from Triton Engineering Student Council (2010), and the Teacher of the Year from the Department of Structural Engineering (1996, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2010)
• Ph.D. Civil Engineering, University of California, Berkeley (1986)
• M.S., Civil Engineering, University of California, Berkeley (1982)
• B.S., Civil Engineering, National Taiwan University (1977)
• Moisseiff Award, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2014
• Outstanding Teaching Award, Earl Warren College, University of California, San Diego, 2010
• Teacher of the Year, Triton Engineering Student Council, University of California, San Diego, 2010
• Special Achievement Award, American Institute of Steel Construction, 2007
• Distinguished Teaching Award, Academic Senate, University of California, San Diego, 2004
• Moisseiff Award, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2004
• Raymond C. Reese Research Prize, American Society of Civil Engineers, 2001
• Outstanding Engineering Professor Award, Tau Beta Pi Honor Society, School of Engineering, University of California, San Diego, 2002