Professor, Structural Engineering
Faculty-Affiliate, Computer Science and Engineering
Scientific visualization and virtual reality, with emphasis on collaborative workspaces, multi-modal interfaces, and distributed and remote visualization of large data sets.
From 1996 to 1999 Falko Kuester was a senior software engineer at Integrated Systems in Sunnyvale, CA. He received a Ph.D. from UC Davis in 2001 and joined the faculty at UC Irvine as an assistant professor in 2001, where he was thrust leader for Computer Graphics and Visualization at the Irvine division of the California Institute for Telecommunications and Information Technology (Calit2). He is the director of the Calit2 Center of GRAVITY (Graphics, Visualization and Imaging Technology) and a founding member of the Transdisciplinary Imaging Genetics Center (TIGC). He joined the faculty of UCSD in 2006.
- B. S., Technical University of Berlin, Germany, Applied Mathematics and Mechanics, 1993
- M. S., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Mechanical Engineering, 1994
- M. S., University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, Computer Science and Engineering, 1995
- Ph.D., University of California, Davis, Computer Science, 2001
- Fulbright Scholar, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1993-1994
- Recipient of the Deans Grant, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 1993-1994
- Recipient of Graduate Scholarship, Technical University of Berlin, 1993-1994
- Cover of ACM Symposium on Virtual Reality Software and Technology 2001 proceedings, ACM Press, November 2001
- Best Undergraduate Student Paper Award 2003, “Optimized construction on linear approximations to image data, “ IEEE
- Best Graduate Student Paper Award, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, The Henry Samueli School of Engineering, UC Irvine
- Member of the German National Gliding Team, 1993-1997